10065 WSA E HOST UNREACH:

Analytics

10065 WSA E HOST UNREACH:

Having trouble connecting to a teradata server on a large corporate LAN. So large I can't find help internally. Getting the 10065 Host Unreachable message. Specifically, it says "The Teradata Server can't currently be reached over this network."

I am new to Teradata and to this forum, so go easy on me. I suspect an internal firewall issue is causing the problem. The server is definitely up and running. It is on domain A and I am on domain B several hundred miles away. The folks in domain A can connect to the server but can't see my SQL server. I can see my SQL server but can't connect to their Teradata server.

Other than a firewall issue, I suspect a shared trust may or may not exist between the two domains. Either way, am I in the ballpark or is there something specific the error message is telling me?

Thanks for your help!
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: 10065 WSA E HOST UNREACH:

You mentioned two Domains. Is the Teradata system setup for Kerberos (Active Directory) authentication?

Anyway, I do not think it is a Domain issue. Can you ping the Teradata nodes?

Usually a Teradata system has two or more nodes; each node is identified by SystemNameCOPn where n starts from one. For example a two node system FOO will have two DNS entries FOOCOP1 and FOOCOP2.

Try pinging SystemNameCOP1 and SystemNameCOP2. There is a network issue If PING shows an IP address but it cannot reach the node.

Are you using .NET Data Provider to connect SQL Server to Teradata Database?

I have a simular issue.
Sometimes my Teradata Server Demo (a linux VM) isn't able to be reach over network when I try to connect thru queryman.
I thought it could be a network issue, but I'd had ping my server with the following command and the server replied all pings. See bellow:
C:\>ping tddemocop1

Disparando tddemo [10.11.63.9] com 32 bytes de dados:
Resposta de 10.11.63.9: bytes=32 tempo<1ms TTL=63

Estatísticas do Ping para 10.11.63.9:
Pacotes: Enviados = 4, Recebidos = 4, Perdidos = 0 (0% de perda),
Aproximar um número redondo de vezes em milissegundos:
Mínimo = 0ms, Máximo = 0ms, Média = 0ms

After all, I've tried to connect again thru queryman and the same error shows up:
Thru ODBC -> 0: WSA E HostUnreach: The Teradata server can't currently be reached over this network.
Thru .NET Provider -> [.NET Provider for Teradata] [115025] Could not resolve Data Source = tddemo to an available node after 1 attempts. [Socket Transport] [10061] System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection refused 10.11.63.9:1025

I've checked if the server is listenning the 1025 port, and it is:
#netstat -an | grep :1025
tcp 0 0 ::: 1025 ::: * LISTEN

My next test was to login at BTEQ and the following error shows up:
*** Warning: DBS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET. RECOVERY IN PROGRESS

At end, the demo which I'm using to learn, it's able to connect sometimes and don't other.
I have no idea to fix it.
I thought would be the firewall in the linux VM, but its not on.

Any ideas that I could try out here?

Thanks in advanced!
Enthusiast

Hello Re

You seem to have done everything alright, till you logged into BTEQ. From the error message it seems that the TPA (Trusted Parallel Application) is not running. Can you try starting it and and then try logging into BTEQ.

/etc/init.d/tpa start

I have pretty much reproduced this problem in this blog entry:

http://forpartha.blogspot.com/2011/09/warning-dbs-crashed-or-sessions-reset.html

Let me know if that helped.

Partha

Junior Contributor

Hi Partha,
just a comment on your blog:
TPA is not an interface to Teradata, it *is* the database software :-)

/etc/init.d/tpa start" just triggers the startup process of Teradata.

Dieter