Analytics
Teradata Employee

Command did not complete within the time specified (timeout). \[3110]

Hello good afternoon, now i have the following trouble with me:

Extract Beginning for BigComp Extract
Begin date is: 2014/03/01 End date is: 2014/03/31
Exception on Teradata Open for: bigdw.bigcompany.com myuid LDAP Message
is: Teradata.Client.Provider.TdException (0x80004005): [.NET Data Provider for
Teradata] [100038] Command did not complete within the time specified (timeout).

[Teradata Database] [3110] The transaction was aborted by the user.
[Socket Transport] [115003] The receive operation timed out. ---> System.Net.Soc
kets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the conne
cted party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established conne
ction failed because connected host has failed to respond

Recently, i received the above request from end user reported at their production enviroment occurred the above error message.
Due to user did not provide any log /messages, so what kind of error log/messsage we need customer provide to me?

Please give me some advice.
thank you very much.
David

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Command did not complete within the time specified (timeout). \[3110]

".NET Data Provider for Teradata" default Command-Timeout is 30 seconds.

TdCommand.CommandTimeout

If this is a custom application (i.e. you have the source-code), then it should be rather easy to change the default command-timeout. There are also other way to change the default-command-timeout assuming that the application does not explicitly set the value. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Hi David,

The Teradata error code is the 3110. It looks like the application disconnected the session or terminated the request due to 'something' taking too long.

What application is the user using?

Does that provide any trace file or error log?

If query logging is turned on for the user then what request were they running at the time this happened?

Does the application have a 'time out' option that the user can increase to allow 'whatever' to complete?

if the user's session got disconnected, have a look in DBC.LogonoffV to see what the event was when they disconnected.

Let's start with that and see where we get to.

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Teradata Employee

Hello Dave:

let me answer your question.

What application is the user using? => usering is using Teradata Database Software (NET Data Provider)

Does that provide any trace file or error log? => this user did not send any error log for me, so i want know what kind of log we need customer provide to us .

If query logging is turned on for the user then what request were they running at the time this happened? => due to do not have any error log ,so i dont know if the query logging is turned or not ?

Does the application have a 'time out' option that the user can increase to allow 'whatever' to complete? => I think this is point that i have to ask user once again.

if the user's session got disconnected, have a look in DBC.LogonoffVto see what the event was when they disconnected.  => So you mean we have asked user provide DBC.Logonoff log for the check ?

cheers

David

Senior Apprentice

Hi David,

I think there may be some misunderstanding going on here. Let me try again using your answers:

What application is the user using? => usering is using Teradata Database Software (NET Data Provider).

DW "Teradata Database Software (NET Data Provider)" is not an application, it is an api layer (like ODBC, JDBC etc.). I was expecting an answer such as SQL Assistant, a home grown C# program etc.

Does that provide any trace file or error log? => this user did not send any error log for me, so i want know what kind of log we need customer provide to us .

If query logging is turned on for the user then what request were they running at the time this happened? => due to do not have any error log ,so i dont know if the query logging is turned or not ?

DW: Query logging is not an 'error log', it is a log of queries run on the Teradata system. This data is stored in the Teradata system and not on the user's pc etc. You will need to access the Teradata system to see if the user's queries at this time were logged or not. You (or the user) may need to talk to the site DBA.

Does the application have a 'time out' option that the user can increase to allow 'whatever' to complete? => I think this is point that i have to ask user once again.

DW: Probably, it depends on what application it is and how much you know about it.

if the user's session got disconnected, have a look in DBC.LogonoffVto see what the event was when they disconnected.  => So you mean we have asked user provide DBC.Logonoff log for the check ?

DW: yes, or if you have access to their Teradata system then maybe you could do it?

How do you want to proceed from here?

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Teradata Employee

".NET Data Provider for Teradata" default Command-Timeout is 30 seconds.

TdCommand.CommandTimeout

If this is a custom application (i.e. you have the source-code), then it should be rather easy to change the default command-timeout. There are also other way to change the default-command-timeout assuming that the application does not explicitly set the value. 

Teradata Employee

Hello NetFx,

this is david ,thank you very much for your message for this issue, i want know due to  the ".NET Data Provider for Teradata" default Command-Timeout is 30 seconds.  How much i have to change the default ?(e.g: 60 or 100 or 200 or much more high ?)

and thank you very much for the guide website , that is really nice explanation,but i still don't know for reset the default from 30 seconds to much more high, where i have to logon? (e.g: which file i have to find and how to change the default ,(i have to use command or what others ?))

i am so sorry for asked so many question .

thank you very much for your help

best regards

David

Teradata Employee

Hello NetFx,

I try to searched few website ,found the following seem like very useful information, seem like where i can change the default.
Can you help confirm this or not ?

thanks in advance.

best regards

David

Setting TdCommand.CommandTimeout is the responsibility of the application. To modify it in SSIS: 1. Select the Data Flow tab (versus Control Flow) 2. Select the ADO .Net DataReader Teradata destination, and right-click to select Properties 3. Change the CommandTimeout parameter in the properties to a value higher than the current setting. For example, if it is set to the default 30 (seconds), try 300.

Teradata Employee

Hi David, 

I think you are stating that you are using SSIS. I am not familiar with SSIS but the description below is logical. 

It is application responsiblity to decide how long the Data Provider must wait for the Query/Command to complete. You can set it to Zero; but it means that the Data Provider will wait indefinitely for the Query/Command to complete.   

Teradata Employee

Hi NetFx,

thanks for your kindly reply.

I think the customer is using 「.net 」, not SSIS.

Actually, i searched few incidents , most of these incident are modify the default 30 to 300.

Can i understanding , 「.net 」and 「SSIS」is different things ? 

thanks so much 

Best regards

David 

Teradata Employee

SSIS = SQL Server Integration Services

SSIS can use the ".NET Data Provider for Teradata" to access the Teradata Database. 

What is the name of the application (that uses the .NET Data Provider for Teradata to access the Teradata Database)? We cannot help you with the application itself. If you have the source code, then you modify the source-code to set the Command-Timeout to a value appropriate for your application. If you do not have the source-code, then does the application have a Command-Timeout property similar to SSIS?