Good software integration with Teradata and SAS ?

Analytics
Enthusiast

Good software integration with Teradata and SAS ?

I'm interested to know whether there is some software integration between Teradata and SAS.

I am primarily concerned with one question;
- Is there a mechanism to use SAS to process data directly within Teradata as auto-generated SQL ?
or
- would the raw data need to be extracted into a SAS system?

Competitor products have had this functionality for many years now, and it is an important consideration for us to use our Teradata investment to its fullest.

Cheers

Tim
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Good software integration with Teradata and SAS ?

SAS and Teradata work very well together using the separately licenced product called "SAS Access to Teradata" (and has so for years). The interface supports both "implicit SQL" (translating SAS syntax into Teradata SQL) and the ability to submit "explict SQL" in normal Teradata syntax using PROC SQL. There is also very good support for Teradata utilities (Fastload, Multiload, and Fastexport).

Also, there's a recently announced development partnership between SAS and Teradata. Certain SAS functionality will be "ported" to Teradata (probably via UDFs). This would be a significant boon for statistical modelers, who could use SAS data mining tools to create model scoring algorithms that would then execute directly in the warehouse. There isn't a lot of info about it right now; i bet nothing will be available for a couple years.

Enthusiast

Thank you
Enthusiast

I am of course interested in knowing how other data miners are processing huge amounts of data, and what vendors and technologies support predictive modeling. Competitive advantage means few like to discuss their work, although vendors like SAS or SPSS are often keen to present success stories which give you little insights into what some organisations are doing.

btw - I am currently using SPSS Clementine as a 'front-end' (it creates SQL automatically) to the Teradata database. All our data preparation and model scoring are as SQL. Our CART, C5.0 decision trees and also our Back propagation neural networks are converted into SQL and processed entirely by Teradata. I work in the telecommunications industry (mobile, fixed, and internet).

If you are doing similar work I'd like to hear from you :)

Oracle has also built data mining functionality into the core of their database (10g & 11g). Here's the link for more info: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/odm/index.html.

There's also a GUI that generates PL/SQL for all typical data mining steps: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/odm/odminer.html.

More statistical functions have recently been added to the database also.

FYI, the pedigree of the Oracle group that accomplished this is good - they're the data mining guys from Thinking Machines that created the company's Darwin product. Oracle aquired Thinking Machines in 1999. No, I'm not one of them. I run a small data mining consulting firm, and we use a variety of tools.

-- Karl