IS-NUMERIC functions

Analytics
N/A

IS-NUMERIC functions

Hello,
this is my problem:
I need to find out with a query, all the non numeric charaters in a field. The field is a varchar but should contain only telephone number, does exist a ISNUMERIC funtions????

select * from table where not field is numeric

Thank you
regards
16 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: IS-NUMERIC functions

There is a "to_number" UDF posted on Teradata's UDF site with the "Oracle" UDF's.

Using this function, if the string cannot be converted to a number, the function will return a NULL. So, you can simply select from the table where the UDF call results in a NULL and it should give you all the rows with bad numbers.

Enthusiast

You can try this

Position will ensure that we have taken care or space in between two numbers.

SEL
sno -- CHAR type
,CASE WHEN (POSITION(' ' IN TRIM(sno)) > 0) OR (UPPER(TRIM(sno)) (CASESPECIFIC) <> LOWER(TRIM(sno)) (CASESPECIFIC))
THEN 'Non-Numeric'
ELSE 'Numeric' End
FROM Test_Table
ORDER BY 2,1;

Instead of UDF.

Vinay
Teradata Employee

the UDF to_number function returns 7504 error if you pass it a non-numeric: "INVALID CHARACTER .. IN NUMBER STRING"

Enthusiast

If you use the "to_number_3.c" code, it will return a NULL if the number is not valid. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.
Enthusiast

After looking at this again, I see that Jeff is right...even the "to_number_3.c" code returns the 7504 message. In order to return a NULL, you'll need to go into the funtion and modify it to issue a "return;" in the places that it detects the various errors. Since the function sets the result to NULL at the beginning of the function, a "return;" will cause the function to return a NULL.
Enthusiast

Hi flaska,

I use an UDF from Mr. Dennis Calkins named is_integer.

This function returns 0 if field not numeric and 1 if numeric
U can use it like this:
select * from mydatabase.emp_table where mydatabase.is_numeric(emp_name)=1;
(assumed u have an emp_table whith the field emp_name)
or
select mydatabase.is_numeric('1234A567'); (this returns a 0)

In the attachment is the hole code
(Registration in the TD database and the c-Code for Unix u must change the .txt in .c)
In addition u can find the original at: http://www.teradataforum.com/is_integer.htm

hth

stami
Enthusiast

Try this...

select * from table
where field <> upper(field)

This is a trick that works MOST of the time since numeric characters do not UPPER.
Enthusiast

Hi,
This will help you:

select * from table where trim(field) not between '0' and '9999999999999999'

Regds,
Sachin

Thank you - worked like a treat!!