Problems with Hebrew display on TeraData-based SSAS cubes

Analytics

Problems with Hebrew display on TeraData-based SSAS cubes

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I searched the forums pretty thoroughly before, to make sure this wasn't discussed before.

I'm developing an SSAS cube with data from a TeraData DB, using a .NET Provider for TeraData.

Some of the data are dimension members written in Hebrew.

In the Connection Manager of the Data Source the Session Character Set property is set to ASCII.

Now, when i'm exploring table data (e.g. from the DSV), I see all Hebrew members displayed correctly. However, when browsing the processed cube, members are displayed in Gibberish (e.g. äìáùä).

I tried changing the Character Set to UTF8 but it didn't help. Is it a provider issue or perhaps RDBMS definitions which should be configured by the TeraData DBA?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES
bwb
Teradata Employee

Re: Problems with Hebrew display on TeraData-based SSAS cubes

If all of your character data is Hebrew, then you might try using Session Character Set HEBREW1255_5A0 in the Connection Manager of the Data Source. If that doesn't work, then I think you need to provide a little more information. By the way, some of the discussion in International Character Set Support (B035-1125) may be helpful.

Re: Problems with Hebrew display on TeraData-based SSAS cubes

Thanks for the reply.

It won't let me define such a Session Character Set, though, because it has only several valid values it gets (i.e. ASCII, UTF8, UTF16 and KANJISJIS_OS).

Additional info: In the Analysis Services server, I set the Windows Language to Hebrew_100 (the SQL Server Language was already set to Hebrew). I tried setting the Language property of the dimension to Hebrew, and the Collation property of the dimension to Hebrew_100, but it didn't make the change either.

I'm working with BIDS 2008 on a 64 bit server.

Re: Problems with Hebrew display on TeraData-based SSAS cubes

We brought a Microsoft expert and he said he had already bumped into this kind of problem before.

As amazing as it sounds, all TeraData needed was a particular font named Globes (a very old font) to be installed on the machine, in order to show Hebrew.

We downloaded and installed the font, and after restarting the service, the Hebrew data was displayed correctly!!!