TeradataR 1.0

Analytics
Fan

TeradataR 1.0

I've found this package while researching a connection between R and teradata. Has anyone seen documentation/reference manual for the package? Since it's a 3rd party package (vs. residing in CRAN), I haven't found a lot of people talking about/using it.

Any experience with or knowledge about the TeradataR would be appreciated!

Thanks!
9 REPLIES

Re: TeradataR 1.0

Hi, how do you installing successful the package?
When I try to install this package, R return this error: "Error in gzfile(file, "r") : can not open this connection"
I have R version 2.12.0.
Thanks
Fan

Hi Menarad,

I'm using R 2.11.1, but it shouldn't make too big of a difference. I unzipped the TeradataR 1.0 folder into the directory: "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.11.1\library". Then when I open R, the command library(teradataR) should load the package into your console.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Thanks,
AndeeK
Teradata Employee

Hi andeek,

Right now the only docs for this package are through the R help facility. So you can do help(teradataR) in R and then search the index for help on each individual function in the package. If that doesn't help out enough let me know what you are trying to do and I can help out.

Todd
Fan

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the response! This actually does help me get a feel for the package.

I'm looking into running Seasonal ARIMA models on data stored in a Teradata environment. Currently, I pull my data into R, fit models, predict, and send the results back to the DB using the RODBC and forecast packages. As you know, this causes me to pull all necessary data into memory and work with it in R. I was wondering if there is a way to leverage your package to enable me to work with larger datasets.

This is somewhat of an exploratory endeavor to see what kind of capabilities I have with Teradata and R. I welcome the discussion and any insight you can provide me.

Thanks,
AndeeK

Hi Andeek,
Thanks for the response!
For R 1.12.0 need also update the RODBC package.

Thanks
Teradata Employee

Are there any UDFs that need to be installed to support this? Or is it all self-contained in the R package, and it uses SQL against the database?
Teradata Employee

It is self-contained and uses SQL against the database. For some of the statistical functions like shapiro.wilk, lilliefors, and several others it does require you to create the statistical tables from Teradata Warehouse Miner in order to use them.
Teradata Employee

Quick note on installation. It appears R has a slight bug with the name of the zip file hence the reason it won't install with the install.packages command. So to install you either need to just unzip the files into the library directory of your R installation or you can actually rename the zip file to something simple like teradataR.zip and all should work.

UPDATE: The package is named correctly now and should have no problem being installed after downloading it.

[URL=http://www.cirrusstratus.com][i] cloud computing [/i][/URL]