Will MLOAD able to Insert data into Global Temporary Tables !!!

Analytics
Enthusiast

Will MLOAD able to Insert data into Global Temporary Tables !!!

Is Teradata Utilities like allows to /update/delete the data into !
I need to insert huge volume of data to a GTT through MLOAD via 1 session! Is that possible via single session! It seems MLOAD will not insert into GTT via multiple sessions.
Inserting data into GTT via BTEQ or MLOAD (if possible) - which is preferable?
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Will MLOAD able to Insert data into Global Temporary Tables !!!

Hi,

We can insert using mload,tpump,fastload,bteq. Insert/update/delete we can use mload,bteq,tpump.

I wonder why you need to load to GTT as it gets discarded at the end of session. Anyway I m not pretty sure . It should allow
to insert/delete.

It depends solely on the operations you want to do. There are a number of parameters you need to take into account before you can choose one.

Tpump Features: You can put many requests in a chunk(PACK). Robust helps you getting ample recovery statistics.Serializes your requests.No limit on concurrent sessions.

Mload Features: Pronounced feature of Teradata.It can limit upto 15 concurrent sessions.So you should not have issue as per my understanding of your requirement. MultiLoad import task can do multiple dml
functions on up to five different tables or views.Target table must not have USI.

There are few more considerations like space estimation etc etc,,,...

Rgds,
Raja

Senior Apprentice

MLoad/FastLoad don't support GTTs, as it would be totally useless to load into an empty table using a single session and then delete all the rows at logoff. Multiple session would be even worse mean a different materialized GTT for each session.

TPump probably allows GTTs, but after logoff the data is lost again.

BTEQ can use GTTs (even multiple sessions), but before logoff you'll need an Insert/Select into the actual target table.

Why do you think you need a GTT for that load?

Dieter
Teradata Employee

We are also trying to do a similar thing.

We have a common error table. We have internal and external processes that want to load into that error table to do common reporting. The internal process can use BTEQ. The external processes will use the utility's to load the data. To avoid conflicts, we want to load into a GT table via mload, then call the macro / insert to move it into the real table. Bteq's will also load into the GT table and then call the macro. (the only conflict should be when the macro is called. 1 process should wait for the other process).

We have several external processes that run at various times. We can't guarantee they won't kick off at the same time. We don't want to have to create several different versions of the table.

There is nothing in any documentation I can find that says MLOAD can't load into a GT table.

FYI. TPT can load in UPDATE (mload) mode into a GT table successfully. We've tried it but for various reasons, we can't use tpt for this process.

Chris

Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

If it 's me then I will create a table in mload script itself. I will load into this from internal and external processes needed. Then the macro..... Then in the mload script itself I will drop the created table I dont want. Anyone who can suggest better.

Thanks,
Raja

For the issue which you had mentioned, we can definitely use a bteq as one of your solution, but while we mention multiple session, we have to ensure that the splitting of the workload across the session, the resultant operation should not get affected. Because due to the splitting of workload by mentioning the multiple session in the script might give u ambiguous results if there is any dependency in the operation which you perform with the data from the GTT.