Installing a package directly from RStudio on windows

Aster R

Installing a package directly from RStudio on windows

I am trying to install certain packages on Aster to perform some operations.

For example if I have to install stringr package on Aster , the help mentions using ta.install.packages() .

Using this function in the simplest form is throwing the following error( I have removed the server info) :

> ta.install.packages("stringr")
Warning message:
running command 'ssh   ****************.com 'source /home/beehive/config/asterenv.sh; ncli apm install R --packages="stringr"'' had status 127
>

I am using Rstudio to access R and Aster R on windows.The function does ask for some more arguments but I have no idea what to furnish.

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Installing a pakcage directly from RStudio on windows

Please do not install the packages separately on each node.  The R package installation process is semi-automated with Aster ncli commands and involves a single install on the queen which is then "synchronized" out to the workers.  

This type of process is something that I can help the Aster DBA or the System Admin of the Aster cluster.  

If you are trying out Aster with Aster Express then I can can also walk you through the process.  

Roger Fried

224-300-3763

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES

You may want to use the ncli utility to install the R package.

Teradata Employee

Hi Manish,

Installing R packages on the Aster cluster requires root access and most companies, including Wells Fargon, require this to be executed by a system admin.  Are you familiar with who the sys admin is for your Aster cluster?  I could work with them to ensure that they have what they need.

Roger Fried

roger.fried@teradata.com

I cannot help, I'm afraid. We are not yet using Aster + R at my site for reasons your message highlights perfectly - the fact that no real/only very limited support exists at the moment.

That said, is it not possible that you should install the package on each Aster node separately, then install into RStudio at the desktop to keep R packages in sync between Aster & desktop?

Just a thought...

Sorry I can't help much

Teradata Employee

Please do not install the packages separately on each node.  The R package installation process is semi-automated with Aster ncli commands and involves a single install on the queen which is then "synchronized" out to the workers.  

This type of process is something that I can help the Aster DBA or the System Admin of the Aster cluster.  

If you are trying out Aster with Aster Express then I can can also walk you through the process.  

Roger Fried

224-300-3763

Thanks a lot Roger for your thoughts. I guess I will have to find the admin here to sort this out.

Just in case , is there some documentation I can refer them to get packages installed or they will need your help to install the packages.

One more query along the same lines, once the packages is installed I hope it will be available for use for every user with access to Aster via R right ?

Specifically the output of ta.installed.packages() will be the same for everybody .

Incase we are still stuck , I will connect them to you , I have your email from above chain, hope you don't mind!

Best,

Manish

Teradata Employee

I just sent the key document via email.  We can set up a time to discuss the process, particularly from the perspective of how the R-user can support IT with their understanding of R packages.