Aster ODBC Driver doesn't show up in Data Sources Administrator.

Aster

Aster ODBC Driver doesn't show up in Data Sources Administrator.

I am struggling to install the Aster ODBC Driver. I downloaded the Aster ClientTools from (http://downloads.teradata.com/download/aster/aster-client-tools-for-windows) and ran nClusterODBCInstaller_i386.msi.

It claims to have successfully installed and appears under Program Files, but no option for the Aster ODBC shows up in the Database Administrator when I try to add a DSN and there is no registry key for the Aster ODBC in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers.

I'm not sure exactly what to do now.

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Aster ODBC Driver doesn't show up in Data Sources Administrator.

Hi charliea0,

The Aster Database ODBC driver requires a driver manager. The Windows operating system includes Driver Manager, which allows ODBC applications to use the correct driver. Please check the Aster client user guide for the appropriate version to verify which ODBC driver managers and other requirements are needed for Windows.
e.g. for Aster Client 6.22 and Windows 64-bit the following prerequisites apply:

Microsoft Driver Manager (included with the Windows OS)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012

To verify whether these packages are installed you can look at installed programs from the Control Panel. After you have installed Aster ODBC please perform the following steps:

* From the Windows Control Panel, double click Administrative Tools to open the Administrative Tools window.
* Double click the Data Sources (ODBC) option to open the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box.
* Click the System DSN tab.
* Click Add to open the Create New Data Source dialog box and add Aster ODBC Driver data source

Please check Aster Client guide for further details on the installation process.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Margarete

Hi! My problem was a combination of two issues. First, I was trying to install the 32-bit version of the driver on my 64-bit system.

I believe the installation process silently failed so the install wizard claimed the driver had successfully installed when it really had not. This should probably be fixed or at least more clearly warned about.

Secondly, there is a bug in the most recent version of the driver (7.000) which made it impossible to create a DSN through Data Sources Administrator on my Windows 7 system. I believe I reported the bug above.

I ultimately solved my problem by installing the 64-bit version 6.22 driver. Do you have a bug reporter I should submit this information too?

Teradata Employee

I am glad you solved the issue. Note, AC7.0 works only with Windows 7 Pro. If you are running another Windows 7 version it will not be working. You will find the Platform and OS Support Matrix in Aster Client 7.0 user guide.