log file after shutdown

Aster
Enthusiast

log file after shutdown

Hi,

i need to have a complete log for the system and users activities on ASTER.

i need it because after a shutdown in the weekend, i think for too many sessions or too many work space used, i can't find the real cause because the table of the statements don't save any more this data.

i take a look at the contents of a diagnostic log bundle but i can't find the needed informations.

Can you help me to monitor all the activities also when there is a shutdown?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: log file after shutdown

Hi,

unfortunately, there is no global event log which contains all information. You will have to gather details in several places depending on the information you are looking for e.g.

The Aster Database Event Engine assists in system maintenance and monitoring. The Event Engine uses a subscription model to send notifications of various events within the system. You can configure separate subscriptions to be notified of events based on various filters.

Further there are several data dictionary views and system tables available which contain metadata information about the various database elements like details on statements, users and tables.

Additionally Aster Database automatically tracks its activity in a variety of log files. The log files are useful when you need to find the cause of an error or unexpected behavior, or when you just want to confirm that an operation has taken place.

You will find further information on all of the above in Aster Database user guide.

In case of a system shutdown you will need to review logs in order to identify root cause. You should start with following logs on the queen node, they are located in /primary/logs:

* alerts.log --> this contains notifications from the event engine and is a high-level information. You will find the exaxt timestamp of system shutdown here

* cluster.log --> this contains details on the cluster health. It will provide further details on cluster failures.

* queenExec.log --> this contains details on sessions and queries

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Margarete

Teradata Employee

Re: log file after shutdown

Hi,

unfortunately there is no global event log containing all the activities of the Aster cluster. You will have to check several locations depending on the information you are looking for e.g.

The Aster Database Event Engine assists in system maintenance and monitoring. The Event Engine uses a subscription model to send notifications of various events within the system. You can configure separate subscriptions to be notified of events based on various filters.

Further there are several data dictionary views and system tables which contain the metadata information about the various database elements like users, statements, tables.

Additionally

Aster Database automatically tracks its activity in a variety of log files. The log files are useful when you need to find the cause of an error or unexpected behavior, or when you just want to confirm that an operation has taken place.

You will find further details for all of the above in Aster Database user guide.

When you are looking for the root cause of an unexpected cluster shutdown, you should review the these logs on the queen, they are located in /primary/logs:

* alerts.log --> this reports logs from the Event Engine service and will contain the exact timestamp of the cluster shutdown

* cluster.log --> this contains details on the cluster health. It will provide further details on the failure.

* queenExec.log --> this contains details on session and statements

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Margarete