Tara (Netbackup) with catalog option

Backup Archive and Restore (BAR)
All things BAR
Highlighted
Visitor

Tara (Netbackup) with catalog option

Hi

I don't quiet understand how does catalog option work with TARA server (netbackup storage).

"Use Catalog" flag is turned on (server settings tab), "CATALOG ON" is added to the script. How can I be sure that catalog is used for backup/restore? How can I change catalog database (looks like arc option CATALOGDB does not change any)?

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Tara (Netbackup) with catalog option

'llo,

A little bit of a problem is that we overload some of our technical terms, CATALOG (aka fastpath) is a reference of object location within the backup image so in the case of a selective restore we don't have to trawl through the whole backup image to find the desired object(s).

Don't believe the ARC CATALOGDB option is related to the TARA CATALOG function

The TARA CATALOG needs to be enabled in the backup (can be done on a job by job basis) which will gather/store this fastpath information into the TARA metadata (stored in files on the TARA Server), trying to use the CATALOG function in a RESTORE will only work if this metadata was captured/enabled in the backup.

ta'

Teradata Employee

Hi

I recently enabled catalog backup in my system.

I enabled CATALOG in my TARA daily backup

also i created a catalog backup policy in netbackup which is storing the netbackup catalog.

Are these both related to the same thing or different?

I recently had to do a table restore and I found out that as long as i was using the with catalog option in the restore script i was getting the error "object not found" when i did the restore with CATALOG OFF it was able to do the restore successfully.

How can i look at TARA metadata and how can i verify if my catalog ON option is wokring or not

@seven11wrote:

'llo,

A little bit of a problem is that we overload some of our technical terms, CATALOG (aka fastpath) is a reference of object location within the backup image so in the case of a selective restore we don't have to trawl through the whole backup image to find the desired object(s).

Don't believe the ARC CATALOGDB option is related to the TARA CATALOG function

The TARA CATALOG needs to be enabled in the backup (can be done on a job by job basis) which will gather/store this fastpath information into the TARA metadata (stored in files on the TARA Server), trying to use the CATALOG function in a RESTORE will only work if this metadata was captured/enabled in the backup.

ta'

Teradata Employee

'llo,

TARA Catalog and NetBackup Catalogs are definitley seperate/different things

TARA Catalog - metadata about database backup image ie. objects in the image and how it is referenced in NetBackup 

NetBackup Catalog - metadata for managing backup storage media and device management, this is an internal sybase database which should have already had a backup setup for it already

There are various reasons that the TARA Catalog might get in the way on a COPY/RESTORE operation, would need to know the senario of the BACKUP & COPY/RESTORE, versions of everything (RDBMS, ARC, TARA, NetBackup, & OS), and logs to see the actual error/warning codes as well as the context to even guess the area to look at.

- or look at logging an incident

In regards to checking TARA Metadata, you could try looking at the jir files that are generated but that basicallly just looks like gibberish as the file is a mix of ASCII and binary data

ta'