Bad characters when querying on UNIX enviornment

Connectivity
Fan

Bad characters when querying on UNIX enviornment

Hello,

I'm trying to use OracleBI (OBI) with teradata under AIX 5.2 . I defined everything needed in OBI and also in AIX but when I enter the application and try to query, I get result but where I have Hebrew characters I see meaningless chars (ex: íù àìì).
If I execute the same query the application does in windows TD client the characters are displayed as it should.
So my question, how do I set the characterset to the ODBC under AIX UNIX system?
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Bad characters when querying on UNIX enviornment

Is OracleBI a UNICODE application?

If yes:
1- Make sure the Session Character Set is UTF8 or UTF16 (e.g. Connection String
should be like UID=X;PWD=Y;CharacterSet=UTF16);

2- Make sure the underlying columns are Unicode (e.g. Create Table Tab1
(Col1 Integer, Col2 VarChar(100) Character Set Unicode).

I suggest looking at IANAAppCodePage (see ODBC Driver for Teradata manual) if OracleBI
is not a unicode application.
Fan

Thanks for your reply Shaw.

OracleBI is a unicode application.
I've already tried setting the CharacterSet parameter in the ODBC.ini file but it didn't change the result.

At the moment I try to figure out if the problem is in Oracle side or Teradata's side. I tried querying using ADHOC which comes with the ODBC driver but it's broken (I can connect but can't get a result unless it's a numberic value) - Do you know another SQL query client for unix which uses ODBC connectivity?
Teradata Employee

Can you post details like

ODBC driver version
ODBC DSN settings including Session Character Set and AppCodePage
Teradata database version
Target column Server Character Set

Did you try I IANAAppCodePage?

On Windows the Applicaton Code Page is set correctly. ODBC Driver Manager will convert ANSI (A) calls to Unicode (W) calls using the Application Code Page.
N/A

I have similar problem with Oracle BI Application. Our teradata developers have created tables with LATIN1 columns and they are loading ASCII chars, that are correct to windows code page. Is it possible to set windows 1250 or ISO8859-2 code page directly in odbc.ini file for ODBC connection?
Problem is that ODBC driver should return data not in LATIN1 but in windows 1250 or ISO8859-2 code page. Is it possible? maybe some alter session?