Can not connect to TD from SQLA over home network, but can connect using BTEQ!

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Can not connect to TD from SQLA over home network, but can connect using BTEQ!

I have set up TD (rel 15.10.00.06, ver 15.00.00.07)  under VMPLAYER on a Windows 8.1 laptop connected to my home network. . I can access TD from Studio Express, BTEQ running under VMPLAYER on this laptop. IFCONFIG running on a GNOME terminal under VMPLAYER shows eth0 inet addr as 192.168.1.2. 

I have set up TTUExpress (15.00.00.00) on another PC running Windows 10, connected to home network. I can log on to TD on my laptop using with BTEQ, (15.00.00.00 for WIN32)  logon 192.168.1.2/uid; pwd. 

On my PC, using 'ODBC Driver Setup for Teradata Database' (ODBC Data Source Administrator (64 bits) and the same for 32 bits) I have setup TD connection with address 192,168.1.2/DBC in Teradata Server Info.

However, when I try to connect using this data source from SQLA , I get error '10065 WSA E HostUnreach: The Teradata server can't currently be reached over this network'.

Appreciate if someone can help!

9 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Can not connect to TD from SQLA over home network, but can connect using BTEQ!

Check you VMWare network settings, it's probably NAT or Host Only, in both cases your VM is not visible from outside, you must change it to Bridged (this will also change the assigned IP-address).

Enthusiast

Re: Can not connect to TD from SQLA over home network, but can connect using BTEQ!

Network setting is Bridged. 

The VM (on my Laptop) is visible from outside (namely my PC) as I can access TD from BTEQ - but not from SQLA or Excel which use  ODBC. Does BTEQ access TD using some other mechanism (ie not ODBC) ?

Senior Apprentice

BTEQ uses Teradata's low level interface, CLI.

Did you double check if it's the same IP-address 192.168.1.2 in both BTEQ and ODBC?

Teradata Employee

If you specified /DBC as part of server name, remove that. In BTEQ you use / as separator followed by the username (which is DBC). In SQLA, you have separate fields for server name, user name and password.

Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter- it is the same address in BTEQ and ODBC.

Thanks Padhia - I removed /DBC from IP address in User DSN configuration and then I could use ODBC connection from SQLA. However, when I try and use this ODBC connection from MS Excel 2016 as "Data=> From Other Sources => From Data Connection Wizard => ODBC DSN => DHANANJAY_ACER_TD (DSN created by me) ' I get a Microsoft Excel error '[Teradata] [ODBC Teradata Driver] Not enough information to log on'.

ODBC Driver Setup screen shot as per attached file.

Thanks for your help.

Enthusiast

I am hoping some one can help! I am able to connect to TD set up on my laptop using BTEQ (logon 192.168.1.2/uid;) and also from SQLA using either ODBC or Teradata.net. ODBC setup is as per screen shot above.

But when I try to connect to my laptop TD from Excel 2016 (DATA=>From Other Sources=> From Data Connection Wizard => ODBC DSN => DHANANJAY_ACER_TD (ODBC DSN defined be me - see screen shot in earlier post) I get error [Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver] Not enough information to log on. I want to be able to access TD data from my Excel for analysis.

I am puzzled as ODBC seems to work with SQLA, but not Excel. Please HELP !

Did you just upgrade to Office 2016?

Enthusiast

About 2 months back, but before I started experimenting with TD on VMPLAYER on Windows 8.

Teradata Employee

There is an outstanding issue with the private copies of the Visual Studio 2012 libraries in the MS Office 2016. The VS 2012 libraries are out of date and they prevent one of the ODBC DLLs to load.