CentOS 7.0 Linux cannot find odbc.ini after rpm Install

Connectivity

CentOS 7.0 Linux cannot find odbc.ini after rpm Install

Good day,

I am trying to get programmatic access to the Teradata connection used by Tableau.  I have a CentOS 7 Linux Server and have installed the driver via the tdodbc1600__linux_indep.16.00.00.02-1.tar.gz file from
http://downloads.teradata.com/download/connectivity/odbc-driver/linux
I then ran the two rpm installs therein.  The instructions file then says:

A template odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini file are available in the 32-bit 
        and 64-bit common ODBC directories.  It is strongly recommended that the ini 
        files in the common directories be used as they are release independent of the
        TTU release directories.
        Common Directories:
            <InstallDir>/teradata/client/ODBC_64

But... there is no ODBC_64 directory in my install dir, nor any odbc.ini file.  I only have <InstallDir>/teradata/client/16.00/

Please help?  Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Best regards,

MS

Accepted Solutions

Re: CentOS 7.0 Linux cannot find odbc.ini after rpm Install

Well, I figured that out too... it was the Korn Shell requirement.  I wasn't able to find a version of pdksh that worked with CentOS 7, so I used mksh which seemed to work.

yum install mksh

As you can tell from this thread, I am somewhat new to all this, and hope that your community will benefit from my inexperience.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Did you read (and follow) the installation instructions in the txt file included in the download?

There are 3 rpm packages included, plus you may be missing some dependencies (e.g. standard runtime libraries) that are not necessarily included in a default install of the OS.

Hey Fred!   Thank you for following up with me.  I went back in and dug around and found the 3rd rpm that I missed, so I appreciate that... but... when I went to install it I am getting errors:
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.mn8ixK: /opt/teradata/client/16.00/odbc_32/bin/set_default_version: /bin/ksh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
/bin/cp: cannot create regular file ‘/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_32/odbc.ini.tmp.1753’: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.mn8ixK: line 100: /opt/teradata/client/ODBC_32/odbc.ini.tmp.1753: No such file or directory
/bin/cp: cannot create regular file ‘/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_32/odbcinst.ini.tmp.1753’: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.mn8ixK: line 100: /opt/teradata/client/ODBC_32/odbcinst.ini.tmp.1753: No such file or directory
set_default_version -b 64 -v 16.00 -i /opt
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.mn8ixK: /opt/teradata/client/16.00/odbc_64/bin/set_default_version: /bin/ksh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
/bin/cp: cannot create regular file ‘/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64/odbc.ini.tmp.1753’: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.mn8ixK: line 100: /opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64/odbc.ini.tmp.1753: No such file or directory
/bin/cp: cannot create regular file ‘/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64/odbcinst.ini.tmp.1753’: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.mn8ixK: line 100: /opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64/odbcinst.ini.tmp.1753: No such file or directory

I was logged in as root... so it isn't a permissions thing.  Thoughts?

Well, I figured that out too... it was the Korn Shell requirement.  I wasn't able to find a version of pdksh that worked with CentOS 7, so I used mksh which seemed to work.

yum install mksh

As you can tell from this thread, I am somewhat new to all this, and hope that your community will benefit from my inexperience.  Thank you.