Connect Oracle to Teradata - error msg

Connectivity
Highlighted
hxi
Enthusiast

Connect Oracle to Teradata - error msg

Hello,

I was trying to pull data from Teradata to Oracle so I created a database link below in Oracle in TOAD. 'ABC' below refers to the database name in Teradata.

Create Database Link "ABC"

Connect to UserID

Identified by password

Using 'DG4TERA';

The database link is created, but when I use it I am getting an error message:

ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
[Oracle][ODBC Teradata Client driver][Teradata]The UserId, Password or Account is invalid. {28000,NativeErr = -8017}[Oracle][ODBC Teradata Client driver]File not found '.odbc.ini'. {HY000,NativeErr = 1509}
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from ABC;

Is there a way to get the issue resolved? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Connect Oracle to Teradata - error msg

That's very likely the problem. The Oracle Gateway does not have a way to specify the TD Authentication Mechanism, as far as I know. It always uses whatever is the default on the Teradata database side, which is typically TD2 (even if some users are set up for LDAP).

Possible workarounds:

• Enable TD2 authentication for the "CONNECT TO" user (or set up a separate user allowed to use TD2 authentication).
  • If the TD database and the TD client software on the gateway are both 15.10 or later, configure TDNEGO as the "default negotiating mechanism" on the Teradata database nodes.

• Configure the TeraGSS settings on the Oracle Gateway server to use LDAP - but that would be global to all Data Links to Teradata using that gateway server.
  • Code a TD client CliLgnExit2 user exit and install it on the Oracle Gateway server. Oracle will only pass the UserID and Password to the exit, so you'd have to adopt some convention to encode the desire to use a different authentication mechanism (e.g. special character prefixed to the UserID).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Are the UserID and password values being supplied in double quotes (i.e. case-specific)?

Is the Teradata server set up to use something other than native TD2 authentication for this user?

hxi
Enthusiast

Thanks Fred for your response.

No, no double quotes.

Yes, the Teradata server is set up to use LDAP authentication for this user. Is it why we cannot set up a databasae link in Oracle if the user in Teredata is set up using LDAP authentication? Thanks.  

Teradata Employee

That's very likely the problem. The Oracle Gateway does not have a way to specify the TD Authentication Mechanism, as far as I know. It always uses whatever is the default on the Teradata database side, which is typically TD2 (even if some users are set up for LDAP).

Possible workarounds:

• Enable TD2 authentication for the "CONNECT TO" user (or set up a separate user allowed to use TD2 authentication).
  • If the TD database and the TD client software on the gateway are both 15.10 or later, configure TDNEGO as the "default negotiating mechanism" on the Teradata database nodes.

• Configure the TeraGSS settings on the Oracle Gateway server to use LDAP - but that would be global to all Data Links to Teradata using that gateway server.
  • Code a TD client CliLgnExit2 user exit and install it on the Oracle Gateway server. Oracle will only pass the UserID and Password to the exit, so you'd have to adopt some convention to encode the desire to use a different authentication mechanism (e.g. special character prefixed to the UserID).

hxi
Enthusiast

Thank you!