Connecting to Teradata Express for VMware through local network

Connectivity
Fan

Connecting to Teradata Express for VMware through local network

I've mounted the Teradata Express for VMware image and can access the evaluation DB from within VMWare Workstation.

I'm now attempting to connect to the Teradata database on the VM over my local network to query the DB with the .NET provider. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to connect to the VM database?

For testing, I just use NQuery to see if I can even connect.

Host Machine: Win7 x64 with .NET 4.0.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Connecting to Teradata Express for VMware through local network

You will need to change the VMWare network configuration for the VM. As shipped, it is configured for NAT mode. See the forum thread below for details:

http://forums.teradata.com/forum/cloud-computing/getting-internet-access-from-td13-suse-vm-instance
Fan

Thanks Jim - I neglected to mention that I already changed the network to bridged mode.

I've tried pinging the IP address from the host, but get a request timed out.

And tried to use the IP address in the connection string with a test user/database I created on the VM, but no connection (time-out).

Any suggestions on what my connection string should be using for the address? i.e., here's what I tried using:

Data Source=192.168.1.10; User Id=vmtest2; Password=pass; Database=vmtest2;

In the Data Source do I need to qualify it with the db name or similar? i.e. Data Source=192.168.1.10\SomeName
Enthusiast

Since you can't even ping the IP address, there must be a problem with your network configuration. The "192.168.*.*" addresses are typically not visible from outside the local subnet. How did you assign that IP address?
Enthusiast

I have a similar problem using '.NET data provider for Teradata' connect to Teradata Express for VMware from the host.

I could ping the IP address for the VM.

The connection sting is: Database=PPSS;User Id=dbc;Data Source=192.168.1.9;Password=dbc;

The error is: Could not resolve data source = 192.168.1.9 to an available node after 1 attempts. [Socket Transport][10060] System.Net.Sockets.SocketException(0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connection party didn't not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connection host has failed to reponse 198.168.1.9:1025 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Endconnect(IAyncResult asyncResult) at Teradata.client.provider.wptcptransport.waitonsockets(list 1 sockets, utlstopwatchwrapper timer, int32 timeout, int32 icctimeout, tderrorcolletion errors).

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Teradata Employee

The Data Provider cannot establish a socket connection to port 1025 on 198.168.1.9. Is the gateway up and running?

Enthusiast

Thank you for your response. How can I check if the gateway up and running?