Connecting to a VM from a completely separate host

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Connecting to a VM from a completely separate host

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this question is dumb or obvious. I've searched the web as best I can and cannot seem to solve this issue - Which at first I thought was simple.

Onto my problem: The title basically says it all. I have a TD Express VM (ran on VMware Player) on a Windows 2008 R2 server acting only as a host for the TD Express. There are a number of us with our own PCs and we each independantly want to connect to the TD Express database - But how?

On the Windows Server Command Prompt, I can use 'ipconfig' and see the IP of the VMware Machine is 192.168.xxx.xxx. If I try and do 'ping 192.168.xxx.xxx', it works as it should! That's great.. But this IP is local to the windows machine of course, and thus cannot be reached via our separate PCs.

As said I've looked online, but the only thing I seem to keep finding is that the TD Express VM can only be access via the PC that is hosting said VM... Is that true? I don't see it being true at all but I cannot find an answer otherwise :(

Thank you for any help in advance, I will try and respond asap if someone needs more info about my Machine.

Regards.

6 REPLIES
Junior Supporter

Re: Connecting to a VM from a completely separate host

Hi:

You have two main options:

1.- Change the VM machine Network Adapter to 'bridged'. This will make the V Machine visible within your network.

2.- Use the port redirection feature of the Virtual Network Editor.

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Enthusiast

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for the reply!

1. My VM was already set to 'bridged', however there was no additional IP as far as I could see, and in fact the DBS kept returning 'Error: 0/-1 DBS is not running' until I, on a whim, changed it to 'NAT' which actually solved the issue. So to ensure the DBS retains it's ability to run, I'd rather stick with NAT - Which I believe entails port forwarding, so now I need to learn that >.<

2. As above, trying to do this currently but not sure how. I've added the 'Serial Port' option in the VM Settings, but in the 'Options' tab of the VM Settings there is nothing to do with ports as there seems to be in some images elsewhere.. I'm assuming this is a Windows 2008 Command somewhere I should be using so I guess I'll look that up and post here should I solve the issue..

Thanks again.

Junior Supporter

Vincent:

If your VM was 'bridged' you should have provided an IP address (fixed, no DHCP) in your LAN for it and you should have configured the virtual network card within the VM (IP address, mask...) as if it was a real machine in the LAN.

'Serial port' has nothing to do with the listening ports, but with the old serial/parallel ports COM1, LPT1 etc...

The port redirection feature let you redirect the calls on the HOST port (1025) to an address in your NAT configuration (the one the VM has). The other PC's must connect to your PC as if it was the TD server. Your PC will pass the requests to the VM (TD) and back to your colleagues PC's.

You must also take a look at the firewall configuration (if any).

HTH.

Cheers.

Enthusiast

Hello again Carlos,

I think I actually solved the issue that was causing 'bridged' to not work, and that is simply that I am running VMware Player on a VM machine in the first place. A TD Express VM on a Windows VM does not allow me to create any additional IP's, whether they be virtual or not. Once I set the connection to 'NAT' the TD Express DB is now correctly running (as seen with pgestate -a).

I think the only way to get my server to run as required is via the NAT connection option. As mentioned however, there is no Port option in the Options tab in VM Settings so I'm a little lost with this also.

Regards,

Junior Supporter

Vincent:

The port redirection feature for NAT can be used in the Virtual Network Editor.

If you are using the VMWare Player (or its new name "Workstation Player") then there is no Virtual Network Editor bundled with it, but you can find a way to make it work...

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Teradata Employee

For managing access to ports on virtual machines (whether local or in the Cloud) I recommend port forwarding on SSL with Putty. This may look complicated at first glance (and when you do it the first time) until you realize that this will get rid of all your firewalling network access issues forver working with Linux VMs.

Howto:

- Get a ssh login for the VM in question

- Create a connection profile from putty to the VM.

- Add port forwarding in putty for that connection. e.g. binding <you current local ip>:1025 to localhost:1025 on the machine you connect to.

-