Create UDF with SQL code

Connectivity

Create UDF with SQL code

Hi, i'd like to create the Teradata function corresponding to the DB2 function posted here:

CREATE FUNCTION SCLI.F00H12AL (PCODBK DEC(5), PCODFT VARCHAR(8),PCODLAN VARCHAR(2))
RETURNS VARCHAR(50)
LANGUAGE SQL
READS SQL DATA
NO EXTERNAL ACTION
DETERMINISTIC
RETURN
SELECT T00H12AL.DESCR
FROM T00H12AL
WHERE T00H12AL.COD_BK = PCodBk
AND T00H12AL.COD_FT= PCodFt
AND T00H12AL.COD_LAN=PCodLan

This function in very easy and it can be referenced in any SELECT clause of any SQL statement. I'd like to create the same function in Teradata but I still wasn't able to find the way yet. Reading the documentation I found out that UDF can reference to external file written in different programming language such as C/C++/Java, but my own case is much more simple. I only need to create a simple SQL language function.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

Simone
3 REPLIES

Re: Create UDF with SQL code

You can accomplish the same via normal joins without the necessity to have a UDF.

SELECT A.*, SCLI.F00H12AL(A.PCodBk, A.PCODFT , A.PCODLAN )
FROM A

can be re-written as ...

SELECT A.*, B.DESCR
FROM A, T00H12AL B
WHERE B.COD_BK = A.PCodBk
AND B.COD_FT= A.PCodFt
AND B.COD_LAN=A.PCodLan
;

Thank you very much for the quick answer, but my issue was to find out if it's possible in Teradata to write a UDF with embedded SQL (like the one in the posted example) or UDFs only need to access an external C/C++ source file. This because in our company we're doing a migration of some applications from DB2 to Teradata and we need to rewrite all DDL for this DBMS.

Thanks
Simone
Teradata Employee

Hello,

Till Teradata 12 SQL can not be used in user defined functions. Perhaps, it will be available in later versions.

Regards,

Adeel