Example Column Output Enabling SQLExecDirect

Connectivity

Example Column Output Enabling SQLExecDirect

Hi There,

I'm investigating on a query sent from BI tool to TD using ODBC driver 14.x. When checking log in TD I see two same SQL statements. Both are same one prepares and 2nd executes. I read in the TD documentation enableing SQLExecDirect can stop preparing and give consider reduced process time for query. But, it may not provide column metadata information, might not return DATA, TIME and TIMESTAMP data type.

So, I'm curious to know with some example for the columns and data type output when we disable (default), enable this SQLExecDirect. Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY
Scout

Re: Example Column Output Enabling SQLExecDirect

[Re:] When checking log in TD I see two same SQL statements. Both are same one prepares and 2nd executes.

It would certainly be helpful if you could share the TD logs here.

[RE:] I read in the TD documentation enableing SQLExecDirect can stop preparing and give consider reduced process time for query. But, it may not provide column metadata information, might not return DATA, TIME and TIMESTAMP data type.

If my understanding is correct then you are referring to the DisablePREPARE DSN option below.
DisablePrepare_ODBC.jpg

[RE:] So, I'm curious to know with some example for the columns and data type output when we disable (default), enable this SQLExecDirect. Thanks in advance!

As per the documentation:

ODBC Driver for Teradata is therefore not able to provide Column Name information from SQLDescribeCol or SQLColAttribute.

Additionally, DATE, TIME, and TIMESTAMP data might not be returned in the proper data type or format.