Excel 2016 VBA Connection

Connectivity
tmw
Enthusiast

Excel 2016 VBA Connection

We use Excel 2010 VBA connections to run Teradata scripts (both inserts of data from Excel to user tables and selects to populate excel from teradata tables).  The VBA is like this:

Public Function Teradata_Connection()

Dim constr

pwd = frmTDconnection.txtPwd.Text

uid = frmTDconnection.txtUsr.Text

On Error GoTo Invalid

constr = "Driver={Teradata};DBCNAME=oneview;UID=" & uid & ";PWD=" & pwd & ";"

Set Cn = New ADODB.Connection

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

If Cn.State <> 1 Then

Cn.ConnectionTimeout = 60

Cn.CommandTimeout = 3600

Cn.Open constr

End If

Teradata_Connection = True

Exit Function

Invalid:

MsgBox ("There was error number " & Err.Number & ".  This is " & Err.Description & ".")

Exit Function

End Function

Since my Office 2016 upgrade, it no longer works.  I get the error message:

"There was error number -214217843.  This is [Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver] Not enough information to log on."

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
tmw
Enthusiast

Re: Excel 2016 VBA Connection

Also, the project has Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library and Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library as available references.  These were required for it to work in Excel 2010, and it creates a different error when they are not enables in Excel 2016 (e.g. the macro won't compile).

I am also having similiar issue.

We had Office 2010 and when i upgraded the same day to 2016 my vba no longer can connect to our teradata.

tmw
Enthusiast

I hear it's a Microsoft level issue that's being addressed via a patch process.  I still haven't been through a fix, but it's supposed to be arriving soon for me.

was there any updates on a patch for 2016 to fix the connectivity issue?

Has there been an update to this yet? Is there truly a MSFT patch to resolve this? We are experiencing the same issue.

tmw
Enthusiast

I had an update where the connection was working great in Excel 2016, and everything was great.  Then, just last week there was an update that returned to the same problem, and I'm back to installing and using Excel 2010 as a workaround.

I suspect people are working on it, but the last time it took quite a while to get an update rolled out.

I found out that Microsoft is working on a patch that they expect to release Mid-September.