Excel VBA connectivity

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Excel VBA connectivity

Having major issues with ODBC driver 15

we've recently upgraded to Win 7 64bit machines from Win XP 32 bit machines.

On the old machines, using ODBC driver 8 the following worked in VBA

adodb.connection.Open "DSN=" & "DW Master" & ";" & _

"Uid=" & user & ";" & _

"Pwd=" & Password & ";"

On the newer machines, 8 can't be installed as it's not 64bit compatible, however we installed 13.

for ODBC driver 13 we had to make the following adjustment - this also works on the older version of the driver aswell.

adodb.connection.Open "DSN=" & "DW Master"

Neither will work on ODBC driver 15, they always produce a 'not enough information to log on error' If I try and set up a data connection using this driver it doesn't appear in the provider list, if I try and use the MS ole db provider for odbc drivers or the teradata ole db provider I get either 'error in provider initilization' or 'cannot find terasso library'

Any ideas? I can use the driver for 13, but would prefer to use the latest one if possible.

6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Excel VBA connectivity

Can you try un-installing the existing one and re-install ?

http://downloads.teradata.com/download/connectivity/odbc-driver/windows

Enthusiast

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling this morning and it made no difference. It's as though the driver just doesn't exist as far as Excel 2013 is concerned.

If I setup the DSN in odbc admin, I can use it to connect with SQL Assistant and run queries no problem, if I go into Excel and go data -> connections -> ODBC DSN I get an error 'unable to connect to data source. Reason access denied. please check your password etc...'

I know the password and username are correct as I can connect via SQL Assistant and the previous version of the driver works just fine in excel with the same credentials.

It's a mystery!

Enthusiast

I built a UDL using the previously set up connection and got the following connection string

Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=hughel13;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=hughel13;Data Source=DW Master;Initial Catalog=prd_bo_base_views

I put the following in VBA and it works for older versions of the driver, but not the latest one.

Public TerConnection As New ADODB.Connection

Sub test()

TerConnection.Open "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=hughel13;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=hughel13;Data Source=DW Master;Initial Catalog=prd_bo_base_views"

End Sub

Enthusiast

Does anyone have ideas on how to resolve this?

I have the same issue with Excel 2013 and ODBC 15. Both 14 and 14.10 were fine.

When I use the Excel data connection wizard to connect via ODBC DSN, it seems to suggest an issue with the TeraSSO.dll. The trace ends with the following lines:

30     TS:879144:[10892] DisplayConnDialog!!!!   [ connect.cpp 6367 ]

31     TS:879159:[10892] Loading TeraSSO from C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\15.00\ODBC Driver for Teradata\Lib\terasso.dll   [ CTeraSSO.cpp 139 ]

32     TS:879159:[10892] Load library error is 127   [ CTeraSSO.cpp 287 ]

If I overwrite the terasso.dll from the one in 14.10 then everything works fine so for me it was either that or go back to the 14.10 driver.

for the above erro any alternative other than :

If I overwrite the terasso.dll from the one in 14.10 then everything works fine so for me it was either that or go back to the 14.10 driver.