Installing Teradata ODBC Driver in CYGWIN

Connectivity
N/A

Installing Teradata ODBC Driver in CYGWIN

Hi,

Can anyone share instructions to install teradata ODBC driver in cygwin enviroment.

I am trying to install and tryout Teradata for Python Module  and getting the following error.

I believe this is because of missing ODBC. 

1 Traceback (most recent call last):
File "tera2.py", line 5, in <module>
session = udaExec.connect(method="odbc", system="ZZZZ.COMP.com",username="USERNAME", password="PASSWORD");
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/teradata/udaexec.py" , line 137, in connect
raise e
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/teradata/udaexec.py" , line 129, in connect
dataTypeConverter=dataTypeConverter, **args))
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/teradata/tdodbc.py", line 263, in __init__
init(odbcLibPath)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/teradata/tdodbc.py", line 227, in init
initOdbcLibrary(odbcLibPath)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/teradata/tdodbc.py", line 204, in initOdbcLibrary
odbc = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary(odbcLibPath)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/ctypes/__init__.py", line 429, in LoadLibrary
return self._dlltype(name)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/ctypes/__init__.py", line 351, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: No such file or directory

Tags (4)
2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Installing Teradata ODBC Driver in CYGWIN

Is there a reason why you want to use Cygwin? Why wouldn't you just use "pip install teradata" from Windows command line prompt?

Teradata Employee

Re: Installing Teradata ODBC Driver in CYGWIN

Windows ODBC driver works just fine under Cygwin. but you need to install pyodbc from pypi. Since pypi doesn't host binaries for Cygwin (or Linux for that matter), make sure you install toolchain under Cygwin to build pyodbc, that is gcc, make, automake, gcc-c++ etc. pip should automatically build the package for you. Note that pyodbc doesn't support the "new" Teradata types such as interval, period etc.

As far as people wanting to use Cygwin, I guess that's just a preference for people who are used to command-line. I use it all the time and find it powerful tool when combined with other Cygwing/*nix tools.

teradata package from pypi runs atop ODBC or REST, so just installing teradata package won't be enough. I wish they had been more creative with the name rather than calling the package 'teradata'. That's confusing for people who are just trying to make python work with teradata.