Masking Password on the JDBC connectivity from Hadoop to Teradata.

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Masking Password on the JDBC connectivity from Hadoop to Teradata.

Hello Friends,

Can someone share some insights on how I can mask the password when I make a connection from Hadoop to Teradata using the JDBC drivers? I understand that the password can be entered in the Teradata export/import properties file, but if I need to establish connectivity to multiple Teradata systems from the same cluster, i would not be able to do so. The other way is to hardcode the password on the connectivity something like..

-url jdbc:teradata://TD_SYSTEM_NAME/Database=DB_NAME

-username USERNAME

-password  TEST$123

In the above how can I mask the password "TEST$123" from being visibile in the scripts or on the logs? Do we have something like a Password file paramter that I can use or do I have other options? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Masking Password on the JDBC connectivity from Hadoop to Teradata.

Can you try , if your unix env supports ftppwd, then you can encrypt your password. Remember to echo it after implementing and store in a good place.

Cheers,

Raja

Enthusiast

Thanks Raja. I unfortunately do not have FTPPWD utility installed on the gateway.

Any other suggestions? Sqoop has a password file option, but TDCH does not have one.

Enthusiast

Many years ago, we put login credentials in a file. We open the file before logon. Read the values at the program. Once logged on, we remove the file. That file is read with ugo[r-w-x]  only read permission for that user.  I don't think name-value pair of TD query band also will help here.

Just my thought.

Btw, I have seen many folks resorting to sqoop. Why not HIVE or PIG. I am curious.

Cheers,

Enthusiast

I don't think any of them would work here.

TDCH has more features than Sqoop.