.NET Provider on Mono?

Connectivity
N/A

.NET Provider on Mono?

Does anyone have experiece using .NET Provider with Mono CLR on Linux? I cannot find any information in the help file or Teradata site. 

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: .NET Provider on Mono?

The .NET Data Provider for Teradata product does not support Mono.  We have never had a request for it.

I hope anyone internested in Mono will add their name to this post and describe what they are doing with Mono. We can use the information to possibly bump up the priority for Mono support.

N/A

Thanks! I performed some tests yesterday and the provider does not work with Mono CLR as you mentioned. However, when I ran Mono Migration Analyzer to do gap analysis, there are only four APIs calls which are not supported by Mono but used in Teradata .NET provider.

DataTable DbConnection.GetSchema (string, String[])

void NegotiateStream.AuthenticateAsClient (NetworkCredential, string, ProtectionLevel, TokenImpersonationLevel)

TokenImpersonationLevel NegotiateStream.get_ImpersonationLevel ()

void NegotiateStream.AuthenticateAsServer (NetworkCredential, ProtectionLevel, TokenImpersonationLevel)

The main use case for us is we are moving our infrastructure to the cloud, large instance of Windows VM on AWS or Rackspace is not very cost effective and difficut to script it. Instead of rewriting our code from C# to Java, we want to keep the same C# code and run on Mono with Linux. Mono community has very good support for MS-SQL, mySQL, PostgreSQL, and even Oracle but I cannot find any good alternatives for Teradata .NET provider. Hope this helps and looking forwad to see other use cases from developer community.

Please tell me this is fixed :)

Teradata Employee

It is not fixed. The .NET Data Provider for Teradata does not support MONO at this point.

Please describe your need/requirement. At this point MONO support is not on the roadmap.

N/A

We require Mono support to be able to run on Linux servers under Mono.

Given the openness Microsoft have towards Mono these days, this is something you should get on your Roadmap.  Microsoft is moving everything to NuGet packages and ensuring Mono support for thier Web/Entity/etc frameworks.  Get on it!

I also want a Type Provider for F# so data scientists can be empowered to use F# against your platform (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh361033.aspx).