.NET and using Parameters

Connectivity
Fan

.NET and using Parameters

Ok where do I begin? Basically I have my queries for a report stored in an XML file. I pass in the xml and parse it out to get the query that I want to run. I need to use parameters to pass in dates dynamically as this is a reoccuring report. What I cannot get is how do deal with parameters in teradata? Can I use named parameters?

In oracle I use :endDate and I thought in Teradata I used @endDate but this is not working.....

Code:

When I tried to fill the dataadapter I get the following error....

[Teradata Database] [3939] There is a mismatch between the number of parameters specified and the number of parameters required.

Now this is the same exact way as how I put in parameters in an Oracle query...what am I doing wrong or missing?
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: .NET and using Parameters

I am not aware much .NET, but I believe you need to you use "?" as parameter marker

Fan

I tried ?endDate and the error is as so....

[Teradata Database] [3706] Syntax error: expected something between '?' and the word 'endDate'.

I understand that ? is for unnamed parameters but then how do I add them via the add method of

I am going to try just using a ? and then adding the parameters in order, but hopefully someone has an easy way to use named parameters.
Teradata Employee

.NET Data Provider for Teradata (also ODBC Driver for Teradata) support parameter markers (question mark). They do not support named parameters.

For example:

class Program
{
public static void Main(String[] args)
{
TdConnectionStringBuilder conStrBuilder = new TdConnectionStringBuilder();
conStrBuilder.DataSource = "Foo";
conStrBuilder.UserId = "x";
conStrBuilder.Password = "y";

using (TdConnection cn = new TdConnection(conStrBuilder.ConnectionString))
{
cn.Open();

TdCommand cmd = cn.CreateCommand();
cmd.CommandText = "Select * from DBC.Columns where TableName = ? ";
cmd.Parameters.Add("TableName", TdType.VarChar);
cmd.Parameters["TableName"].Value = "Users";

using (TdDataReader reader = cmd.ExecuteReader())
{
Int32 columnNameOrdinal = reader.GetOrdinal("ColumnName");

while (reader.Read())
{
Console.WriteLine("Column Name is: {0}", reader.GetString(columnNameOrdinal));
}
}
}
}
}

Also see the documentation for TdCommand.Parameters property. It also has a Example.
Fan

Shaw so to do multiple parameter values I would use multiple ?'s and add them in order?
Teradata Employee

Yes, add TdParameter objects in order, corresponding to the Question marks in SQL Text, to the TdParameterCollection object (TdCommand.Parameters property).