Name not in HOSTS file error - Linux

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Name not in HOSTS file error - Linux

Hi all,
I'm getting an error around names not being in the HOSTS file or names database when trying to connect to a Teradata system using BTEQ or SAS from Linux. This happens when I try to use the hostname vs. the IP address. Is the fix as simple as adding the IP address and host names to the /etc/hosts file on the Linux servers or is there a special hosts/names database file that BTEQ, etc. use to resolve hostnames? Also, just curious why is this necessary if we are using DNS and can ping the hostnames with no issues from the Linux servers?

Thanks!

SAS Error:
ERROR: Teradata connection: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS file or names database.

BTEQ Error:
*** CLI error: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS file or names database.
*** Return code from CLI is: 224
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Name not in HOSTS file error - Linux

The problem you encountered is not specific to Linux. Adding the host name to the /etc/hosts file will not, by itself, fix the problem.

The server name (called "tdpid" in the BTEQ documentation) that you specify in the logon string is not the network host name. BTEQ and other Teradata native CLI clients expect the host names of the Teradata server nodes to be composed of the tdpid (which identifies the Teradata system) concatenated with the suffix "cop1", "cop2", etc., which identifies a specific node. The MTDP component of the CLI uses this naming convention to determine which nodes are available and to connect to an alternate node if the primary node is offline.

You should ask your network administrator add a "cop" alias name to the DNS database for each Teradata node on your local network.
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. Our DNS entries go in once per month and not for another two weeks. Will adding the cop entries to the servers hosts file serve as a short term fix? I've done this with my handful of windows client users and it seems to work well and will serve the short term until the DNS entries are applied. Thanks again.
Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my TPT scritp and it was resolved by fixing the following attributes of Export operator 

DEFINE OPERATOR Export_Accounts

TYPE EXPORT

SCHEMA Account_Schema

ATTRIBUTES

(

VARCHAR UserName = 'db_user_name', 

VARCHAR UserPassword = 'db_password', 

VARCHAR TdpId = 'dbccop1'

)