ODBC Connection Error - Specified driver could not be loaded

Connectivity
Enthusiast

ODBC Connection Error - Specified driver could not be loaded

I installed the most recent ODBC driver earlier today (Windows XP 32-bit, ODBC version 14.00.00.04), and immediately lost the ability to connect via ODBC, in Teradata SQL Assistant. The error I receive is:

160: Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (Teradata)

I gave up on trying to troubleshoot this error, and uninstalled that ODBC driver, but still receive the error. Since then I have done many things, but still receive the error:

• Uninstalled all programs relating to teradata (utilities, ODBC driver, ICU, GSS, SQL Assistant, etc)
  • Deleted Tdata32.dll, Tdatas32.dll, tdprsr32.dll, and terasso.dll in the WINDOWS\system32 folder
  • Did a registry search for 'Teradata' and removed all references to Driver Version 14
  • Restarted
  • Installed complete Teradata 13 TTU, including all utilities, ODBC driver, ICU, and GSS
  • Created new ODBC entries using newly installed Teradata driver
  • Copied dll's from "C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\13.10\ODBC Driver for Teradata\Lib" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32"
  • Restarted

After all those steps, I still receive the same "driver could not be loaded" error. I've spent hours on this now and am getting frustrated.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: ODBC Connection Error - Specified driver could not be loaded

UPDATE: I found the issue. The system PATH variable still had references to the Teradata/Client/14.00 ODBC driver, even after complete uninstallation. Perhaps the uninstallers need to be a bit more robust...

Unistall the odbc,gss and icu.. And the order should be GSS-ICU-ODBC for installation.

Restart your system . In my case, it worked. Try this out !!!

Teradata Employee

Unless you encountered any errors during the uninstallation of the ODBC Driver the PATH variable would be updated to remove the PATH entry for the version being uninstalled.

You don't have to copy the ODBC Driver libraries to c:\windows\system32 anymore. The Driver is loaded automatically using the PATH variable or the DSN. Placing the libraries in c:\windows\system32 could cause more issues, because the installer doesn't originally install these libraries in c:\windows\system32 and doesn't know that they need to be removed during uninstallation.  The libraries left over from an earlier installation from c:\windows\system32 will be loaded first by default on a windows system, causing some unexpected errors.

I am having same issue, anybody have any solution?

Hello everyone, I'm stuck with the same issue.

I have done everything: I cleaned teradata-related files, I cleaned registry, I cleaned system PATH variable. I did it many times in many variations.

It's all about Teradata 15.0 package.

Is there any way to know what does it want? Is there some diagnostics to find out where is the problem exactly?

Hello Everyone,

I have installed the 64-bit Teradata ODBC driver downloaded from the teradata developer site on my 64-bit OS. I have even followed the steps mentioned above i.e. order of install GSS-ICU-ODBC. But i am still egtting the same error.

message: Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126: The specified module could not be found. 

(Teradata, C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\14.00\ODBC Driver for Teradata nt-x8664\Lib\tdata32.dll).. (HY000)

when i check the particular location i could find the file Tdata32.dll where as expected is tdata32.dll. I changed the registry also to point to Tdata32.dll but it was of now use.

Can someone help me with the reason and solution for it.

Hi Guys,

Finally!!! i got it resolved yesterday. For us the main challenge was due to recent uninstall of OBIEE to the lower version i.e. from 11.1.1.7.14 to 11.1.1.6.5. So the OBDC detils in registry was causing the major issue.

Here's the step I followed,

1. Uninstalled the Teradata ODBC (ODBC-ICU-GSS)

2. I cleaned the registry for any entry reference to Teradata ODBC driver. (To my surprise those were still there, i was expecting that uninstall of driver would have done that as well)

3. I cleaned the folder structure for the ODBC driver on C:\Program Files\Teradata

4. I restarted the server, this was done to ensure that all system files and variables could get itself set right

5. Thence, i installed the Driver  in the order GSS-ICU-ODBC (mine is 64-bit Window Server 2008)

6. I checked the PATH variable to point to the Teradat directory

Boom... it worked. :)

I hope this would help others.

Dear  piyush,

I met the same issue with you.can you tell me your installed version or send me your  driver package,thank you very much! 

Below is my mail :hua_chen211@163.com .

Enthusiast

Hi All,

Before mucking around with your registry/installation, try rebooting your machine.  This seems to be a windows generated error rather than a Teradata error.

Cheers