ODBC Error

Connectivity
Enthusiast

ODBC Error

Hi, I'm attempting to connect a pipeline pilot server (windows 64bit) to teradata using the ODBC connector drivers provided by teradata. When attempting to do so I am getting the following error

Error logging into data source with connection string ‘*****’: [HY000]

[Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver][Teradata Database] Unicode Conversion Error, [01000] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return) SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER:03.80

I have set up the connection as a System DSN using the ODBC Data Source Administrator (64 bit)

In settign up the driver I have given a generic name (as used across all our IT accounts), provided the IP address (in format xx.xx.xx.**bleep**)

Set up 'use integrated security' (the pilot application allows for user credentials to be entered for SQL connections - we do have other DSN sources set up)
and the session character set is defaulted as ascii.
When I test the connection with or without valid user login information I receive the error above.

10 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: ODBC Error

not bleep... but three x's

I have also tried the 'name' that works for my DBVisualizer connection through the jdbc driver.

Also a correction - when entering a userid/password I get the following similar error:-

Error logging into data source with connection string ‘DSN=XXXX;UID=x;PWD=*****;’[HY000][Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver] Loading the Teradata ICU Library Failed. Error is: 126, [01000] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return_ SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: 03.80

Teradata Employee

Did you install the ODBC driver "manually" or use the Teradata-provided TTU setup package?

If you installed manually, did you install the prerequisite shared libraries TDICU and TeraGSS first?

Is the \Program Files\Teradata\Client\##.##\bin folder in your PATH?

Enthusiast

I used the setup package.

Will check on path and follow up tomorrow
Enthusiast

C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\16.00\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\16.00\bin;

both of these exist in the PATH

Enthusiast

Also I do not know if this is normal, but in ODBC Driver Setup there isn't a test button (which appears to be the norm for other ODBC drivers) - this would be hugely useful as my current test methodology requires going through another system and attempting to set up the connection on the server itself

Teradata Employee

Could your PATH reference something that doesn't exist, prior to the TD lib folder?

No, the TD driver does not have a Test button in the configuration dialog. There is a command-line test program tdxodbc.exe in the ...\ODBC Driver for Teradata\bin folder.

Enthusiast

Ok, tdxodbc.exe appears to be getting closer to a solution - with correct username and password input and the DSN name correct I get the following error

STATE = 28000, CODE=-8017, MSG=[Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver][Teradata Database] The UserId, Password or Account is invalid.

why would this be? (I have not had to input (afaik) any account credentials when connecting DBVis, but at least so far as I can tell this may be what is causing issues here (I did get a similar error message when setting up the JDBC connection in DBVis until I referenced both .jar files provided with the JDBC drivers (unfortunately this is not an option as the product (pipeline pilot) I am attempting to connect only supports a single driver file association with any given JDBC connection.

Teradata Employee

In your original post, you mentioned the "Use Integrated Security" option. That checkbox should be cleared..

Enthusiast

I have since attempted ldap and td2 - same issue with both. It does not appear that login attempts are making it far enough to hit the login/off table (the name escapes me but a number of threads with similar issues seemed to think this may be a good spot to check on)