Problems using SET QUERY_BAND from ODBC

Connectivity

Problems using SET QUERY_BAND from ODBC

I am having problems using the SET QUERY_BAND via ODBC. I need to use it followed by a SELECT statement in a production context. I am not at liberty to change the SQL code nor post the actual code, but I have created a very basic equivalent to illustrate the problem.

If I use the following code

SET QUERY_BAND='pattern=PR%;' UPDATE FOR SESSION;

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DBC.TABLESV

WHERE TABLENAME LIKE GETQUERYBANDVALUE(0, 'pattern');

then it works fine in Teradata SQL Assistant, but chokes in ODBC with the message "Only an ET or null statement is legal after a DDL Statement". OK, fine, whatever, I then changed the code to the following

BEGIN TRANSACTION;

SET QUERY_BAND='pattern=PR%;' FOR TRANSACTION;

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DBC.TABLESV

WHERE TABLENAME LIKE GETQUERYBANDVALUE(0, 'pattern');

END TRANSACTION;

Again, works fine in Teradata SQL Assistant but when using it via ODBC I get the message "SET QUERY_BAND for TRANSACTION must be the first statement in a multi-statement request". Which is baffling me. Is anyone able to help me out here?

9 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Problems using SET QUERY_BAND from ODBC

Can you check if your ODBC session is connected using ANSI transaction mode?

Just checked the Teradata ODBC Driver Options panel via the 32-bit ODBC Administrator and the Session Mode option is Teradata.

Senior Apprentice

You can also set the session mode in your ODBC connection string.

Which tool are you using for submitting the queries?

Fan

Dieter,

You mentioned setting the session mode query_band in the ODBC connection string? Any example of that would be awesome

Thanks

SvenD

I am trying to read data from Teradata DB in a MapReduce job using the JDBC Driver. I get the ... Anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?   http://goo.gl/atzlahhttp://goo.gl/QP7ADP

Teradata Employee

it works fine in Teradata SQL Assistant, but chokes in ODBC with the message "Only an ET or null statement is legal after a DDL Statement".

Are you attempting to execute a Multi-Statement Request? 

Did you try "Execute Parallel" in SQL-A?

SQL-A "Execute" will parse the Query and send each statement (Single Statement Request) separately to the Teradata Database. Whereas "Execute Parallel" will send the entire query as a multi-statement request to the Teradata Database.

Dieter, sorry in the delay in getting back to you (other work intervened). I am using just ADODB in VBScript in a Windows 7 64-bit environment. the relevant code (minus declarations and error handling) is shown below:

sWalletRef = "MyTDPassword"

sDB = "...name of database..."

sSQL = "...SQL to execute as above..."

Set objNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

sCommand ="DSN=Teradata_Production;Databasename=" & sDB & ";UID=" & objNet.UserName & ";PWD=$tdwallet(" & sWalletRef & ")"

Set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

Set objRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

objConn.Open sCommand

objConn.CommandTimeout = 100

Set objRS = objConn.Execute(sSQL)

objRS.MoveFirst

MsgBox "Query returned " & objRS.Fields(0).Value & " records", vbInformation, "Result"

Teradata Employee

So sSQL contains both the SET QUERY_BAND and the SELECT, i.e. it's a multi-statement request?

Then don't include BEGIN TRANSACTION / END TRANSACTION. Just use SET QUERY_BAND ... FOR TRANSACTION and SELECT.

Or send a SET QUERY_BAND ... FOR SESSION and SELECT as two separate requests.

Thanks for the suggestions Fred! The first idea didn't work; the query failed to return any rows. However, I split the query into two separate requests (i.e. two separate calls to the Execute method) and that achieved the desired result.