SQL Assistant => Oracle Timestamp Problem

Connectivity
Fan

SQL Assistant => Oracle Timestamp Problem

Hi!

I'm new to Teradata. I have installed the Teradata SQL Assistant 13 and I am connected to an Oracle-DB (Oracle ODBC-driver and Oracle Net-Manager).
With The SQL Assistand 12 I got the date values as timestamps (e.g. 08.08.2010 09:53:12).
Now with the verstion 13 I only get the date (e.g. 08.08.2010).

Where can I change this (I need the timestamps)?

Thank you!

Regards
Tim
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: SQL Assistant => Oracle Timestamp Problem

SQL Assistant 12.0 was a VB app that directly calls the ODBC API. As a result it was able to support everything that ODBC supports.

SQL Assistant 13.0 is a Microsoft .Net application which accesses the data sources via the Microsoft .Net Data Provider.
This product is a minimal (putting it nicely) implementation of the ODBC spec that seems to be designed to support only those features available in SQL Server ... and as a bonus (for Microsoft) to making Oracle look bad.

This is one of many problems you will hit if you connect to Oracle from a .Net application using ODBC. If you upgrade to SQL Assistant 13.10.0.2 you will be able to connect via the .Net Data Provider for Oracle instead of using ODBC.
(You will need to download ODP from Oracle.com. Refer to the Release Notes after installing SQLA 13.10 for more details)

This will give you a much better experiance with Oracle. (just as Teradata.Net will give you a better experiance than ODBC when you connect to Oracle.)
Fan

Hi!

Thank you!
I don't want to install further tools.
It works now:
e.g. "CAST(FIELDWITHDATE AS TIMESTAMP) as FIELDWITHDATE"

Regards
Tim
sas
Fan

Hi can you please suggest how to connect to oracle database from terada sql assistant 13. i dont have teradata installed. I want to connect through ODBC, assistant 13 having only genaric JDBC, terdata connection profiles only.

Thanks in advacne.

Regards,
Suresh

Hi to all
Can someone please tell me how to convert a String time into Timestamp I'm inserting it into Oracle database. I'm fetching it from another page like so;

String p_start_time = req.getParameter("START_TIME");
String p_end_time = req.getParameter("END_TIME");
i will be very thankful to you peoples

apa style research paper