Ok, Bob Walpole (Teradata) helped me get connected. HE IS THE MAN!
Here's what I learned:
1) Need to run gtwcontrol -d on the node and make sure:
External Authentication: on
Append Domain Name: no
2) Need to grant null password logons like this:
GRANT LOGON ON ALL TO [UserID] WITH NULL PASSWORD;
3) When you configure TdgssUserConfigFile.xml:
4) Make sure you can ping your ldap server. If not add the ip and name to your /etc/hosts file.
5) Configure the TdgssUserConfigFile.xml on the node not the client.
For our installation it's at /opt/teradata/tdat/tdgss/site/
Good luck getting connected and God bless you.