Sqoop Import from Teradata with 30 lines of SQL query using –query is failing

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Sqoop Import from Teradata with 30 lines of SQL query using –query is failing

Hi,

I was trying to import data from teradata into hadoop using sqoop command. This import includes joining of tables on teradata and import the results to hive. I'm using the --query option of sqoop to insert the SQL query. The SQL query which I'm using is more than 30 lines. The import is failing with the following error.

14/01/10 11:30:28 INFO manager.SqlManager: Using default fetchSize of 1000

14/01/10 11:30:28 INFO tool.CodeGenTool: Beginning code generation

14/01/10 11:30:29 ERROR manager.SqlManager: Error executing statement: com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.JDBCException: [Teradata Database] [TeraJDBC 14.00.00.01] [Error 3707] [SQLState 42000] Syntax error, expected something like ';' between an integer and '('.

com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.JDBCException: [Teradata Database] [TeraJDBC 14.00.00.01] [Error 3707] [SQLState 42000] Syntax error, expected something like ';' between an integer and '('.

I tried "sqoop eval" to check whether Sqoop can handle such large query.  It was successful. It returned me the result on the putty console. But when I use the same SQL in the import command it is not working. I'm using the following command.

sqoop import -libjars /usr/lib/sqoop/lib/tdgssconfig.jar,/usr/lib/sqoop/lib/terajdbc4.jar --driver com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver --connect "jdbc:teradata://111.111.111.11/DATABASE=vedw" -m 1 --username uname --password pwd --hive-table PRED_CUST --hive-import --query "SELECT query with JOINS and WHERE \$CONDITIONS" --target-dir /user/hdfs/PRED_CUST

Following is the sqoop eval command which is working fine.

sqoop eval -libjars /usr/lib/sqoop/lib/tdgssconfig.jar,/usr/lib/sqoop/lib/terajdbc4.jar --driver com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver --connect "jdbc:teradata://111.111.111.11/DATABASE=vedw" -m 1 --username uname --password pwd --query "SELECT query with JOINS and WHERE"

Please help me with this if there is anything wrong I'm doing. Or please suggest me some workaround. Thank you.

Srikanth

11 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Sqoop Import from Teradata with 30 lines of SQL query using –query is failing

use an options file parameter.. "--options-file" and use the "--query" option with the sql in multiple lines with a line concatenation "\"

something like..

--query

select \

col1 \

,col2 \

,col3 \

,col4       \

from table1 a \

join \

table2 b \

blah blah blah

Enthusiast

Re: Sqoop Import from Teradata with 30 lines of SQL query using –query is failing

Hi td_admirer,

Thanks for the quick response. I made that 30 lines query into single line query. I was still getting the same error. The query with 30 lines(new line for every condition) did not work at all. Please correct me if I was wrong.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Enthusiast

can you paste the entite sqoop command that you were using?

Enthusiast

Hi,

Here is the sqoop command.

sqoop import -libjars /usr/lib/sqoop/lib/tdgssconfig.jar,/usr/lib/sqoop/lib/ terajdbc4.jar --driver com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver --connect "jdbc:teradata://111.111.111.11/DATABASE=vedw" -m 1 --username uname --password pwd --hive-table PRED_CUST --hive-import --query "SELECT vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wo_period_date, CASE WHEN (vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wks_end - 6) = vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wo_period_date THEN (vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wks_end - 6) ELSE (vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wks_end + 1) END,  vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.cal_year || '/' || (vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.cal_period (format '99')),  vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.region_descr,  vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.area_descr,  vedw.wo_header1_view.branch_code,  count(vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wo_nbr),  vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.alt_customer_name,  vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.alt_customer_nbr,  vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr,  vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.SLM_offering_class,  (SUM(vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.actv_repair_time_onsite + (vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.actv_repair_time_remote - vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.actv_repair_time_sentinel)) / (COUNT(vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr) * 60.0)),  vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code,  sum(vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.parts_used),  (SUM(vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.travel_time) * 1.000 / (COUNT(vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr) * 60.0)),  (SUM(vedw.wo_header_drvd4_view.best_fit_resolution_time - vedw.wo_header_drvd4_view.best_fit_drop_time_resolve) / (COUNT(vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr) * 60.0)),  vedw.wo_header1_lkup_dn_view.aof_desc_gbl_1,  vedw.wo_header1_view.aof_code_gbl_1,  vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.crnt_parent_cust_ind_code,  SUM(vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.onsite_activity * vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.SN_3_day_opportunity_ind) ,  SUM(vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.onsite_activity * vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.SN_3_day_opportunity_ind * (vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.SN_3_day_opportunity_ind - (CASE WHEN (vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.SN_3_day_failure_ind + (CASE WHEN (vedw.wo_header_drvd2_view.onsite_count_WCS_visit + vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.sn_3_day_failure_ind - vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.SN_3_day_opportunity_ind) > 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)) >0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END))),  vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_type_gbl,  vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_type_lcl,  vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.SN_3_day_opportunity_ind,  SUM(vedw.wo_header_drvd2_view.onsite_count_WCS_visit),  vedw.wo_header1_view.territory_code FROM  vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view,  vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view,  vedw.wo_header1_view LEFT JOIN vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw ON vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_header_repair_success_vw.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind='y',  vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view,  vedw.wo_header_drvd4_view,  vedw.wo_header1_lkup_dn_view,  vedw.wo_header_drvd2_view WHERE  ( vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind = 'Y'  )  AND  ( vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_header_drvd2_view.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_header_drvd2_view.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_header_drvd2_view.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind = 'Y'  )  AND  ( vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind = 'Y'  )  AND  ( vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_header_drvd4_view.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_header_drvd4_view.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_header_drvd4_view.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind = 'Y'  )  AND  ( vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind = 'Y'  )  AND  ( vedw.wo_header1_view.source_country_code=vedw.wo_header1_lkup_dn_view.source_country_code and vedw.wo_header1_view.instance_id=vedw.wo_header1_lkup_dn_view.instance_id and vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_nbr=vedw.wo_header1_lkup_dn_view.wo_nbr and vedw.wo_header1_view.current_record_ind = 'Y'  )  AND  (( vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.wo_reportplus = 1  )   AND   ( vedw.wo_header_drvd1_view.onsite_use = 1  )   AND   (    vedw.wo_header1_view.wo_type_gbl  IN  ( '1','2','3','4'  )    AND    vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.wo_type_gbl_taken  IN  ( '1','2','3','4'  )   )   AND   vedw.wo_equipment_drvd1_view.alt_customer_nbr  IN  ( '20066','4987303','78983558','021028','53998','00888874','30093','37305','81992380','AE325','SA320','39435','24329'  )   AND   vedw.wo_header1_view.caller  <>  'Kevin Peters'   AND   (    vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.SLM_offering_class  IN  ( '73543','73346','73550','71351','73458','74559','76086'  )    OR    vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.SLM_offering_class  LIKE  '58%'    OR    vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.SLM_offering_class  LIKE  '66%'    OR    vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.SLM_offering_class  LIKE  '53%'   )   AND   vedw.wo_header1_view.hht_flag  =  0   AND   vedw.wo_header_drvd3_view.cal_offset  BETWEEN  0  AND  1  ) GROUP BY  1,   2,   3,   4,   5,   6,   8,   9,   10,   11,   13,   17,   18,   19,   22,   23,   24,   26 \$CONDITIONS" --target-dir /user/hdfs/PRED_CUST

Teradata Employee

Why do you have \$CONDITIONS after the GROUP BY list?

Enthusiast

without \$CONDITIONS the sqoop command is giving this error " must contain '$CONDITIONS' in WHERE clause."

Teradata Employee

Yes, but it can't be after GROUP BY. Try something like:

... BETWEEN 0 AND 1 ) AND \$CONDITIONS GROUP BY ...

Enthusiast

Thank you Fred. It is working now.

Hi

I not able to import data from teradata instance to hdfs. i am getting this error

I am using this qurie :sqoop import  --connect jdbc:teradata://10.23.227.22/DATABASE=mydb --username dbc -P  --table mydb.test_table --warehouse-dir /user/sqooptest/teradata/ --num-mappers 1

Error: ERROR tool.BaseSqoopTool: Got error creating database manager: java.io.IOException: No manager for connect string: jdbc:teradata://10.23.227.22/DATABASE=mydb

at org.apache.sqoop.ConnFactory.getManager(ConnFactory.java:185)

at org.apache.sqoop.tool.BaseSqoopTool.init(BaseSqoopTool.java:202)

at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.init(ImportTool.java:83)

at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.run(ImportTool.java:464)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.run(Sqoop.java:145)

at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:70)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runSqoop(Sqoop.java:181)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:220)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:229)

at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.main(Sqoop.java:238)