Teradata Connector for Hadoop Now Available

Connectivity
Connectivity covers the mechanisms for connecting to the Teradata Database, including driver connectivity via JDBC or ODBC.
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Connector for Hadoop now available

Hi All,

We have 24nodes 2650 model running 1GB link.

We might be  having Teradata Hadoop by first quarter of 2015.

Our concern is, do we have any confirmed benchmark on how  much time it will take to copy data, let’s say 100GB from hadoop to teradata or from teradata to hadoop using different tools.

Hadoop has 10GB link but our old model of 2650 has only 1GB link, can it accommodate big data transfer and vice versa?

Can you send us any sample data showing how much  time it got loaded from each other during heavy hours using 100GB data?

We need to answer our client’s question.

Thank you.

Hi All,

We have a usecase for bidirectional data transfer between Teradata Aster and Hortonworks Data Platform. Please guide me with the following.

1)Will TDCH be sufficient ? I have had a quick glance through the above attached tutorial, but did not find any mention of Aster. 

2) If TDCH is not the answer, then what is the best way to acheive the above said usecase ?

Regards,

Anil

Teradata Employee

Hi Anil,

Bidirectional exchange between Teradata Aster and Hadoop can be done using "QueryGrid Aster-to-Hadoop" (formerly known as "Aster SQL-H"). The Aster SQL-MR functions load_from_hcatalog and load_to_hcatalog are an integral part of the Aster platform.

Hope this helps

Beat

Fan

Does Teradata connector for hadoop also works for  Aster  connectivity?Looking for Aster 5.0 and HDP 2.2 connectivity.

Enthusiast

Hi All,

I am using teradata-connector-1.3.3 with the following versions:

->Teradata 15.0

->HDP 2.1

I am trying to import data from teradata tables to HDFS.

I create a table in the Teradata database.

CREATE MULTISET TABLE martinpoc.example3_td3 ,NO FALLBACK ,

NO BEFORE JOURNAL,

NO AFTER JOURNAL,

CHECKSUM = DEFAULT,

DEFAULT MERGEBLOCKRATIO

(

c1 INTEGER,

c2 VARCHAR(100) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC)

PRIMARY INDEX ( c1 );

I insert a data with Chinese word into this table.

INSERT INTO  martinpoc.example3_td3(c1,C2) VALUES ('1','蔡先生');

I run the command call the teradata connector to export data from teredata to HDFS

hadoop com.teradata.hadoop.tool.TeradataImportTool -libjars $LIB_JARS -url jdbc:teradata://192.168.65.132/CHARSET=UTF8,database=martinpoc -username martinpoc -password martin -jobtype hdfs -sourcetable example3_td3 -separator ',' -targetpaths /user/martin/example3_td3 -method split.by.hash -splitbycolumn c1

I success to export the data from teradata to HDFS, but I found the Chinese word in the HDFS is weird. (I already using the CHARSET=UTF8 in the JDBC Url)

Do you have the same experience and how to resolve it. Thanks.

Kindly Thanks and Best Regard

Martin

Teradata Employee

Hi All,

Can anyone assist on this error?

java.lang.Exception: Cannot connect to WebHDFS, check host name and port.

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.connectivity.HadoopConnection.open(HadoopConnection.java:129)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.connectivity.HadoopConnectionFactory.createConnection(HadoopConnectionFactory.java:30)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)

at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Previously, teradata-connector 1.3.3 is working but after few day, it did work anymore. We cannot hook at hadoop file system and teradata.

I have updated the connectoer to 1.3.4 ---->>>>TeradataConnectorForHadoopVersion":"1.3.4" but still not working.

here is the log also from the edgnode where cteradata-connector and studio were installed:

Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: http://gvlhdmpap02:50070/webhdfs/v1/?op=LISTSTATUS&user.name=hdfs

15:14:03.045 Teradata Datatools [Worker-6] ERROR hadoop - Could not read HDFS

Please assist

Thank you.

Teradata Employee

this is resolved.

there was  failover testing and the standby namenode becomes active.

since there is a new version of the teradata-connector, 1.3.4, I have updated it. and rerun oozie script pointing to new active node and it works

Enthusiast

Can you please help me, where to findout Teradata connector for Hadoop Java API documentation?

Thank you

Teradata Employee

The tutorial says the Teradata JDBC URL should point to an MPP system name (and not a single node).  

1) How do I specify an MPP system name in the url?

2) What are the corresponding entries in the Hadoop hosts files I need to reference the MPP nodes?

3) Which Hadoop nodes need these entries in their hosts files?  Master nodes?  Data nodes? Edge nodes?  All three?

Thanks!

Enthusiast

Hadoop to Teradata data movement using TDCH:

While using TDCH (JDBC-FastLoad), if the operation is interrupted for some reason, it must be restarted from the beginning. I have faced this issue quite frequently while large record set is loaded using JDBC FastLoad since "Checkpoint" feature is not available in JDBC connectivity. This feature is not introduced even in recent JDBC 15.x releases.

Considering this:

1. TDCH (Hadoop-to-Teradata) is a scalable Extract-Load solution to move data in regular interval for large IDW system

2. What is the internal latency involved in Teradata while using TDCH/QueryGrid, more specific to AWT usage

Thanks!!