Teradata .NET data provider - LEFT() function doesn't work in both V13.x and V14.x of SQL Assistant?

Connectivity

Teradata .NET data provider - LEFT() function doesn't work in both V13.x and V14.x of SQL Assistant?

Just wondering why the string function LEFT() doesn't work with the Teradata .NET provider in both versions of SQL Assistant V13.x and v14.x.  It works perfectly well when use ODBC with SQL Assistant the same function.  I had to convert to substr() to make it work for both ODBC and Teradata .NET.  Unfortunately I'm forced to use ODBC at the client side.  Do I need an updated driver?  Is there a fix?

Thanks

Chris

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES

Re: Teradata .NET data provider - LEFT() function doesn't work in both V13.x and V14.x of SQL Assistant?

Please notify me at Chris.Diaz@BAML when published.  Thanks.

Senior Apprentice

Re: Teradata .NET data provider - LEFT() function doesn't work in both V13.x and V14.x of SQL Assistant?

Hi Chris,

LEFT is no valid Standard/Teradata SQL syntax, it's an ODBC function, it will not work in .NET or CLI.

In fact the ODBC driver simply replaces it with SUBSTR (but only in DML, e.g. when you try to use in in a CREATE VIEW it will fail).

There are more function like this, when you switch them off (check Disable Parsing in the ODBC driver options) you will get an error message when you start using one.

Dieter, thank you very much for the prompt answer.  Much appreciated.