Teradata ODBC Soutrce

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Teradata ODBC Soutrce

Hello. Unfortunatelly the net is really empty with that information. I didn't find anything right about that. Please, help me with that common problem. I can't connect my Teradata SQL Assistant to ODBC Teradata Source. I'm working alone at my home pc (local host). I've got mysql client and database where i was studying sql first. Now i'm working with Teradata and can't make in possible to work through the Assistant. It always have one error: 10061 WSA E connection refused: Teradata server not accepting the connection. I've created the default ODBC Teradata source with server name localhost and username, passord like my acount in mysql. Could you help me? Thanks.

11 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Teradata ODBC Soutrce

If you work on the PC where the Teradata VM is running you don't connect to localhost (only from within the VM).

You need the VM's IP instead: Open a terminal window in the VM and do a ifconfig eth0, the returned inet addr will be your server.

For logon use dbc for both username and password.

Enthusiast

Dear, Dieter. My questions could seem really stupid, but i can't understand. VM - is it a virtual machine? I'm trying to run the Teradata sql assistans at my local pc and can't connect with your parametrs (dbc as the name and the password). I've tried to logon via BTEQ and got that error:

*** CLI error: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS file or names database.

*** Return code from CLI is: 224

*** Error: Logon failed!

Could you explain?

Thanks.

Junior Contributor

You can't connect to a database server if there's no server :-)

SQL Assistant is just a client (so you could connect to your existing MySQL server using ODBC), but for Teradata you need to download a VMware image of a Teradata server.

Enthusiast

Okay, now i can fix it. But there is only linux verison. Does it have windows edition?

Thanks.

Junior Contributor

No, there's no more Teradata on Windows.

But as it's a virtual machine the OS doesn't matter, you just need VMWare Player for Windows.

Enthusiast

Okay, now i got the vmware and teradata express. But can't run it successfully. I choosed windows settings in the vmware as OS, but it always lagging, goes with that error:

29003 #PdeMain NOT started, PANIC-LOOP-DETECTED. Please delete file "/var/opt/teradata/tdtemp/PanicLoopDetected"

And can't update - crushing my system and i have to get my pc restarted.

Enthusiast

Finally i've launched vmware with teradata, but it works so slowly. I changed setting to linux, cause on windows my mouse doesn't moved. I've opened viewport to start all teradata services. Still can't connect to server via sql assistant...
Junior Contributor

I don't know about the settings in Windows VM Player as I run it on a Mac using VMWare Fusion.

But the Teradata VM is running Linux (SUES Enterprise Linus 10 or 11). 

The PANIC message indicates that Teradata crashed several times during startup (probably due to that wrong setting), after deleting the PanicLoopDetected file it should start.

By default the memory settings for the VM are quite low, just enough to run Teradata. But Viewpoint also needs a lot of memory, so you must increase RAM to at least 4GB (this should be somewhere in the readme) or Linux is running out of memory and starts swapping all the time, resulting in a really sluggish system.

Shutdown the VM, assign as much RAM as possible (I use 4GB each for two seperate VMs for TD and Viewpoint) and restart again, if you're limited on RAM better run it without starting Viewpoint.

Enthusiast

Dear, Dieter, could you tell me what is the path to that PANIC file? /var/opt/teradata/tdtemp/PanicLoopDetected