Teradata default TCP port

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Teradata default TCP port

Hi,

Is possible change the default TCP port from 1025 in Teradata?

I saw on StackOverflow someone answer that they heard from a Teradata worker that this is impoccible, but they never gave a link to an official answer. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata default TCP port

It is not possible to change the default 1025 port for the Teradata database.

Senior Apprentice

Hi Todd,

since when it's no longer possible?

I knew a customer where the port was different, and there's still an option in ODBC/.NET/etc. to specify a different port.

Junior Supporter

@dnoeth:

You shouldn't, but you surely can ;-)

Cheers.

Carlos.

Teradata Employee

It is nice to learn something new every day!:-)

I have found that it is indeed possible to change the default port for Teradata. Apparently this capability has been in the gateway software for some time. Also apparently this is a very little known and little used capability. In addition to me being unaware of it, there seems to be little documentation of the capability to guide making the change.

Is this a key requirement for your implementation? If yes, then I advise that you contact our support organization to help work through the details.

It is a complicated change to make. The change to the port on the database itself is pretty easy. But every interface on every client that accesses Teradata must also be changed to access via the new port. Every instance of ODBC, JDBC, CLI, .NET, ... on every client that accesses the system must be changed. Any that are not changed will of course no longer be able to access the database. Care should be taken to make an implementation plan that covers all forms of access to the system.