Unable to connect to Teradata with encryption enabled

Connectivity
RB
Enthusiast

Unable to connect to Teradata with encryption enabled

Hello,

We are on Teradata 15.10 and enabled encryption on the server. However after enabling it, our SAS users were not able to connect to Teradata. When they run any program that conects to TD, its just in "running" status and does not give any output (even a program that just takes couple seconds to run). After disabling the encryption, we were able to run the SAS code and connect fine to TD. We have TTu 14.00 on the SAS server. Which Teradata logs would show me the connection denial from SAS? I checked DBC.logonoff and dbqlogtbl and did not find any logs that says "denying connection" from SAS.

Thanks

RB 

9 REPLIES
RB
Enthusiast

Re: Unable to connect to Teradata with encryption enabled

Does14.00 ODBC driver support encryption? 

Teradata Employee

TTU14.10 or later is required to support database-enforced network encryption / Quality of Protection policies.

TTU14.0 supports client-requested encryption only. If you are using only gtwcontrol RequireConfidentiality option to enforce default QOP, and the client requests encyption, then the connection should succeed.

You might check dbc.Software_Event_LogV for related messages

RB
Enthusiast

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the response. We are using only gtwcontrol "Require Confidentiality option:yes". In that case should the 14.00 driver support ?

Thanks

RB 

Teradata Employee

Yes, but only if the client settings also request/expect encryption.

I don't think SAS allows the encryption option to be passed through. You may need to change settings in ODBC DSN, CLIv2 clispb.dat, etc. on the client.

RB
Enthusiast

I checked the "Enable data encryption" on the ODBC driver that SAS uses, and still the same issue Fred. Let me upgrade the driver and check if that fixes it. Thanks for your response again. 

Teradata Employee

Are you using the SAS/Access Interface to ODBC library combined with the Teradata ODBC driver?

Or are you using the (preferred) SAS/ACCESS Interface to Teradata library, which relies on Teradata CLIv2 driver?

RB
Enthusiast

We use SAS/ACCESS Interface to Teradata. So then I will have to enable encrpytion on CLIv2. Let me try that and see if it works.  

RB
Enthusiast

Fred - Could you let me know, how to enable encryption for CLIv2 drivers? I am unable to find any info on that. 

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

You would set data_encryption=Y in clispb.dat

The recommended method is to make a copy of the clispb.dat file, in a different directory, and specify that directory path via COPLIB environment variable.