Unable to connect to Teradata with encryption enabled

Connectivity
RB
Enthusiast

Re: Unable to connect to Teradata with encryption enabled

Fred - Thanks and apologies for not responding earlier. I finally was able to try this and what I found is even without setting "data_encrytion =y", it works fine. I tried it with 16.20 drivers insatlled. SAS uses cliv2 and it just connected fine. However for odbc , I had to enable the encryption on client side. How is it working for cliv2?  

Teradata Employee

If you are using TTU14.10 or later, the driver will recognize that the database requires encryption and do it automatically.

RB
Enthusiast

Looks like for odbc that's not the case, we installed 16.20 and it still requires "Enable data encryption" checked , else it does not connect to the database (where encryption is enabled)

Teradata Employee

If you are using ODBC 14.10 and higher, then it should (as Fred said) automatically detects the security policy sent by the server (because of the RequireConfidentiality option was set) and it does encrypt the data traffic. You don't need to set explicitly in the ODBC driver. 

If you are saying that it is NOT working with ODBC driver 16.20, then please enable the DSN tracing and send it to me and I will be more than happy to take a look and see what is going on. 

Thanks,

Sriram