Which Teradata drivers support data encryption?

Connectivity

Which Teradata drivers support data encryption?

We have a 12 year old classic ASP web application that uses an ODBC Teradata driver.  It does only selects from the database.  We are being told by our local Teradata administrator to use the new .net version 14 driver.  Does anyone know if this driver will work with classic ASP or will some version of the ODBC or OLEDB Teradata drivers support data encryption as well?

8 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Which Teradata drivers support data encryption?

No, you can't use .NET provider unless you change the application. Yes, if you simply upgrade to the current version of ODBC you can set data encryption in the DSN properties.

We are using DSN-less connections to the database.  Is there some parameter I can add to my connection string that will enable encryption?  Like maybe "encryption=on"?  Does anyone know the supported syntax for this?

i am not in a position to see the teradata option in the drop down of the entity data model wizard.   how do i get the data source made available to connect to teradata via entit data model wizard.

thanks

Teradata Employee

You can add "DATAENCRYPTION=YES;" to the connection-string to turn on data encryption.

Teradata Employee

UseDataEncryption=Yes

Teradata Employee

Fred : 

In connection-string : "DATAENCRYPTION=YES;"

In ODBC DSN : UseDataEncryption=Yes

We have several applications which are using dotnet webservers (IIS) returning recordsets from Teradata 14.x.  We wish to add some with encryption using the dotnet data provider 14 (upgrading is an option). Earlier posts mention "DATAENCRYPTION=YES;" Can I get a little more info? Is the data returned encrypted? What type of encryption is being used?

Teradata Employee

https://developer.teradata.com/doc/connectivity/tdnetdp/15.10/webhelp/Teradata.Client.Provider~Terad...

Set the TdConnectionStringBuilder.DataEncryption to true. Yes the Data (Teradata-to-Provider and Provider-to-Teradata) is encrypted. Refer to the Teradata Database "Security Administration" for additional information (algorithm, key size and etc.):

http://www.info.teradata.com/templates/eSrchResults.cfm?prodline=Software%20-%20Teradata%20Database&...