.net provider for Teradata Error

Connectivity

.net provider for Teradata Error

I have only limited access to our teradata server. When I try to set up the connection to make a strongly typed dataset it gives me an error when testing the connection that says I don't have select access to DBC.DBCInfo. If I use the ODBC driver instead it is able to at least set me up with a connection, but I'd like to figure out how to get the .net teradata driver to work in the designer, any ideas?
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: .net provider for Teradata Error

.NET Data Provider version 1.2 will execute a simple Select statement against DBC.DBCInfo view to retrieve the Teradata Database version. DBC.DbcInfo usually has three rows in it like:

InfoKey InfoData
==================== ==========
RELEASE 12.00.01.13
LANGUAGE SUPPORT MODE Standard
VERSION 12.00.01.13

You will need SELECT privileges for DBC.DbcInfo view. Furthermore you will need SELECT privileges for Data Dictionary views like TablesX, ColumnsX.

Alternatively you can upgrade to .NET Data Provider for Teradata version 12.0. It does not depend on CLI and does not require SELECT privileges for DBC.DbcInfo. But you still need SELECT privileges for Data Dictionary views to create a typed DataSet.

Thanks for the assistance,

it seems if I use the ODBC driver instead of the .net teradata native driver, it was allowing me to set a connection string, and input a query to build a strongly typed dataset, but the query I tried had a not like '@%' which .net did not like because it assumed the @ was for a parameter. I am not familiar with this construct so I don't know how to work around it.

is that .net teradata version you recommended the newest or a specific older version? 12.0 I believe it was.

also how can I tell if I have SELECT privileges for Data Dictionary views?
Teradata Employee

Version 12.0 is latest version; but check your Database version first. Version 12.0 connects to Teradata Database 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 and 12.0. It does not connect to Teradata database version 5.1 or earlier.

Server Explorer in Visual Studio 2005 displays the objects you have access; it will execute queries against Data Dictionary view. So, install the Provider and try to use Visual Studio Server Explorer.

Data Dictionary has DBC.AllRights view; I usually use this view to check my access rights.

I don't have select rights to either of those, any other way to check my version?
Teradata Employee

Do you have access to BTEQ?
It displays the Teradata Database version right after you logon; for example:

*** Logon successfully completed.
*** Teradata Database Release is 12.00.01.13
*** Teradata Database Version is 12.00.01.13
*** Transaction Semantics are ANSI.
*** Character Set Name is 'ASCII'.

*** Total elapsed time was 3 seconds.

Also, you can try DBC.AllRightsX. See "Data Dictionary" manual for additional information. You can download it from www.info.teradata.com.