ERwin vs PowerDesigner

Data Modeling

ERwin vs PowerDesigner

I'm looking at potential data modelling tools for our BI team and was wondering what experiences people have had using ERwin and/or PowerDesigner, both in general and specifically within a Teradata environment? Anything regarding pros and cons would be much appreciated, but if anyone has used both and can give me relative strengths and weaknesses that would be even better.

Many thanks,

Jeremy.

2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: ERwin vs PowerDesigner

I have used both. Erwin in development but Powerdesigner a read-only for mapping :), but small projects.

To be honest, you can see I have limited knowledge on the vast oceans of both these.

Since I had used Erwin more, so I think that Erwin is better.It has good support of documentation,online community,metadata interchangeability  , reports generation etc.

However, when I look at the features of Powerdesigner, I can see that it has good( features) too.

Few catches are: are resources easily available and what you want from the tools and more 

questions. Also, note that they are hot competitors and the recent releases of one may be more 

magnificent than those of the other, in terms of features.

I always use checklist, when I compare tools, since some of my jobs in the past are to compare ETL tools :),

databases,Operating systems etc. I think for you , since you already know the infrastructure in your 

organization, it is easier to gauge which one befittingly suits the requirement from this slideshare.

http://www.slideshare.net/SybaseTurkey/sybase-powerdesigner-vs-erwin. You can add more in future, when get in touch with the vendors  or from some other sources maybe.

I have not made a comparison of the tool in a checklist format for this(I mean excel). If you can share 

once you  complete it , will be grateful :). I could have done it for you as a starting point but I am 

a bit tight these days.

Re: ERwin vs PowerDesigner

Thanks for that link Raja, it looks very useful. When/if we do a side-by-side comparison of these 2 tools I'll be sure to let you have a checklist-style summary.

Best wishes,

Jeremy.