Erwin report template

Data Modeling
Enthusiast

Erwin report template

Hi,

I am not sure which one to run in erwin: CSV Entity names or CSV Tablename? They look to be the same?

Under what circumstances, we may have different reports?

Same thing happens with attribute and column names.

Thanks and regards,

Raja

3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Erwin report template

Hi Raja,

Under normal circumstances Entity/Attributes of logical design and Tablename/Column Names of physical design are the same.

Only if you have some unusual characters in logical design like space or quotes or if you have column and table naming conventions on your database it makes sense to change the names in physical design.

Does this answer your question or is it beside your question?

BR

Roland

Teradata Employee

Raja,

The choice of entity/attribute vs. table/column depends on the intended use of the report.  People working with the physical database will want the table/columns.  This would be the DBAs, physical modelers, SQL developers, and end user report developers.  The physical objects of table/column will have names abbreviated based on the Erwin naming standards file.  The logical objects of entity/attribute will not be abbreviated, but will apprear as originally modeled.  In addition to the abbreviated names, the physical objects may differ based on "physical only" tables and columns.  For example, one my add ETL control columns to the physical model that are "physical only".  These would only appear on the physical report only.

Enthusiast

Hi Roland and Lee,

Thanks! I see very much sense there.

Perceptibly, it reduces coding if we know erwin functionalities :).

Regards,

Raja