Novice seeking help for teradata EDW modelling

Data Modeling

Novice seeking help for teradata EDW modelling

Hi Everyone,

Good that i got this forum on the second day of my learning itself, not so late!! I have been with Oracle DWH, Informatica, Obiee and siebel for around five years and now seeking a change to Teradata EDW Modelling

I know the basics of DW modelling, but never have really seen how the EDWs in teradata looks alike. Is there anywayi start working on them immediately apart from Express edition that is available for Vmware. 

Please help me on this regard. And you may please highlight points that i should keep in mind during the course like those utilities and etc.

3 REPLIES

Re: Novice seeking help for teradata EDW modelling

Teradata is MPP architecture. Try to see its beauty employing your  business cases.Utilities like bteq,mload,tpump,

fastload,fastexport, tpt are at hands.Initially,maybe you can try with employee and department tables(model) , implementing indexes etc.You can inch towards its other tools and integration... UDA etc... 

There are some sample db objects ( examples)  too available.

Cheers,

Thanks Raja. Any other help would be appreciated as well :) 

I am going through each one of you have mentioned. 

Teradata Employee

As far as data-modelling is concerned, 3NF is suggested and you can use star or snow-flake style.

The only part that you would find new is the way how indexes work. So you should gather knowledge around this area. The concept is is different than PKs. Once you are aware of how it works, you can surely model in a seemless way.