ARCMAIN

Database
Enthusiast

ARCMAIN

Gurus,

The requirement is to forklift the whole database from Test machine to Dev machine.
lets assume ther's a user Db called "XYZ" in test and it dosent exists in DEV machine.
i want the user XYZ in the same heirarchy as it is Test. since the user can be logged in and has profile and role and when i archive and restore it in DEV using COPY will the roles , profiles get copied, will the user would be able to login in DEV?

in general terms while doing a copy from one system to another what are the important points tahat i should take care so it dosent hit me with an error?

regards
TD_DBA
1 REPLY
Teradata Employee

Re: ARCMAIN

Note that COPY and RESTORE are different.

If you COPY the content of a database to a different system, that's exactly what you get - copies of the content of that one database. Copies of objects get new internal IDs; permissions are not copied.

RESTORE requires that the matching internal ID already exists. If you RESTORE database DBC to an "empty" system, critical dictionary tables will be populated with the same internal IDs - after which you can RESTORE user dictionary table entries and database/table contents. In that case, permissions will effectively be preserved / reinstated as they were.