Beginning Teradata user

Database

Beginning Teradata user

I just started a job using Teradata as one of our tools. I will use to pull data I will analyse in other applications. can anyone provide me good links for the most basic of functions in Teradata?

Example: I know how to create a three column table but for some reason I cannot import a text file into it. The import "works" but no data shows. I think I have to use a "COMMIT" function but do not know it. That sort of question that obviously is way, way below almost everyone in this forum.

Cheers
5 REPLIES

Re: Beginning Teradata user

Teradata Documentation can be downloaded for free here http://www.info.teradata.com/DataWarehouse/eTeradata-BrowseBy.cfm?page=Teradata%20Database . You are looking for SQL Reference: Functions and Operators.

About your example: i know and use only 2 ways of data import into teradata - either by insert (you have create separate insert for every record, f.e. excel can help you generate it, suitable for smaller amount of data only) or with ETL tools like Informatica PowerCenter (there you can import nearly anything, but these tools are not available for free of course).

About commit - you do not have to commit inserts/updates/deletes/creates/drops.... They commit as soon as you execute them.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. That link is very helpful and I appreciate your advice.
Enthusiast

Hello

i am also new in Teradata. what are the free tools that I can use to create a report in excel using Teradata? Does anyone have the manual in creating report in Cognos Impromptu?

Thank You.
Enthusiast

What you can use is an ETL tool. There are open source tools available for free.

Talend Open Studio is an open source ETL tool for data integration and migration experts. It's easy to learn for a non-technical user. What distinguishes Talend, when it comes to business users, is the tMap component. It allows the user to get a graphical and functional view of integration processes.
For more information: http://www.talend.com/
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. i will look into that.