COLLECT STATS TD V14.10

Database
Enthusiast

COLLECT STATS TD V14.10

Consider the following.

I create an employee_table and then create and execute individual collect stats commands as follows

COLLECT STATISTICS on Employee_Table COLUMN Employee_No ;

COLLECT STATISTICS on Employee_Table COLUMN Dept_No ;

COLLECT STATISTICS on Employee_Table COLUMN Last_Name ;

I then do a :

show  statistics on groven.employee_table

I then get the follwing back :

COLLECT STATISTICS 

-- default SYSTEM SAMPLE PERCENT 

COLUMN ( Employee_No ) , 

COLUMN ( Dept_No ) , 

COLUMN ( Last_name ) 

ON groven.employee_table ;

Can I assume then I do not need to go back and change the way I collect stats for all existing tables I have created in the old method of collecting stats.

I can continue to rely on the way erwin generates the collect stats statements which is the old method as teradata automatically converts theres to a single pass statement for us?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: COLLECT STATS TD V14.10

Enthusiast

Re: COLLECT STATS TD V14.10

I see there is a question posted in that feed :

Will existing table level collect stats statements utilize multiple stats in one scan when possible?

Carrie Answered :

1. First, you have to re-issue statistics collections individually when you get on 14.0 using the grouped (multiple collections in one statement) format. Only statistics that share the same USING options can be grouped. After collecting statistics using this new syntax, then you can recollect at the table level and where possible, multiple stats will be collected in a single scan.

FROM ME AGAIN :-)

From this I deduce that I do not have to re-issue the multiple collect statistics in one command if the USING options are the same for a table. Teradata will automatically do this for me. Anyone agree ?

The reason for me asking is that we use ERWIN to generate our collect stats commands and currently erwin does not support the new td14 method of collecting stats but if teradata is going to group the collect stats together then essentially it does not matter.

Thanks