Can we access a table from SQL UDF in TD 14?

Database
Teradata Employee

Re: Can we access a table from SQL UDF in TD 14?

Cufconfig won't help.  You would need to install the files on each node, which would require root access, which is bad general practice and would be strongly discouraged by the local support team.  Far more pain and hassle than it's worth.  You really should use the GLOP (Global and Persistent Data) feature.

http://info.teradata.com/HTMLPubs/DB_TTU_16_00/index.html#page/SQL_Reference%2FB035-1147-160K%2Frpd1...

Teradata Employee

Noticing earlier posts on this question complaining about the lack of table access in SQL UDFs, I am moved to point out that if this were allowed, it would create havoc in a massively parallel processing environment like Teradata.  On the other hand, the need for such functionality is in fact quite rare: almost every SQL function I have ever seen used in SQL scripts in other DBMS's can be expressed as a view or a derived table.  The trick is to get out of that programmer mindset and think in terms of relational sets.  I have written quite a bit about this at developer.teradata.com/blog/georgecoleman/.  For an example of a really difficult problem like this, see
developer.teradata.com/blog/georgecoleman/2014/01/ordered-analytical-functions-translating-sql-functions-to-set-sql

Teradata Employee

The GLOP URL got truncated. Try clicking here for the GLOP documentation.