Common table expression - out of spool space

Database
Enthusiast

Common table expression - out of spool space

I am trying to write a query which will ID columns in one table not in another table w/o having to use literals. I've tried variations using both CTEs and volatile tables, but run out of spool:

With cte_vars as

(

Select 'SomeTable' Table1,

'SomeOtherTable' Table2 

)

Select  tbl1.ColumnName From  DBC.Columns tbl1

Join cte_vars cte On tbl1.TableName = cte.Table1

Left Join DBC.Columns tbl2 On  tbl2.TableName = cte.Table2  And tbl2.DatabaseName = tbl1.DatabaseName

Where tbl1.ColumnName = tbl2.ColumnName And tbl1.tablename = cte.Table1 

And tbl2.ColumnName Is Null

Union

Select  tbl2.ColumnName From  DBC.Columns tbl2

Join cte_vars cte On tbl2.TableName = cte.Table2

Left Join DBC.Columns tbl1 On  tbl2.TableName = cte.Table1  And tbl2.DatabaseName = tbl1.DatabaseName

Where tbl1.ColumnName = tbl2.ColumnName And tbl2.tablename = cte.Table2 

And tbl1.ColumnName Is Null

Using volatile tables:

Create VOLATILE TABLE TblNames As

(         Select 'SomeTable' Table1,

'SomeOtherTable' Table2 

)

WITH DATA NO PRIMARY INDEX

ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS;

Select tbl1.ColumnName

From TblNames tn

Join DBC.Columns tbl1 On  tbl1.TableName = tn.Table1 

Left Join DBC.Columns tbl2 On  tbl2.TableName = tn.Table2  And tbl2.DatabaseName = tbl1.DatabaseName

Where tbl2.ColumnName Is Null

Union

Select tbl2.ColumnName

From TblNames tn

Join DBC.Columns tbl2 On  tbl2.TableName = tn.Table2

Left Join DBC.Columns tbl1 On  tbl1.TableName = tn.Table1 And tbl1.DatabaseName = tbl2.DatabaseName

Where tbl1.ColumnName Is Null

Is there some other way to do this? I am new to teradata, coming from SQL server environment.

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Common table expression - out of spool space

Whenever I replace the pseudo variables w/ literals, the queries run fine. I would like to eventually make this a more useful query.

Teradata Employee

Main issue is that you need to include the column name in the join conditions.

You should be using ColumnsV instead of legacy view Columns. And I think you really should supply the DB/Table for each object being compared.

With cte_vars as

(

Select 'SomeDB' DB1, 'SomeTable' Table1,

'OtherDB' DB2, 'SomeOtherTable' Table2

)

Select tbl1.ColumnName From DBC.ColumnsV tbl1

Join cte_vars cte On tbl1.TableName = cte.Table1 and tbl1.DatabaseName = cte.DB1

Left Join DBC.ColumnsV tbl2 On tbl2.TableName = cte.Table2 And tbl2.DatabaseName =  cte.DB2 And tbl1.ColumnName = tbl2.ColumnName

WHERE tbl2.ColumnName Is Null

Union

Select tbl2.ColumnName From DBC.ColumnsV tbl2

Join cte_vars cte On tbl2.TableName = cte.Table2 and tbl2.DatabaseName = cte.DB2

Left Join DBC.ColumnsV tbl1 On tbl1.TableName = cte.Table1 And and tbl1.DatabaseName =  cte.DB1 And tbl1.ColumnName = tbl2.ColumnName

WHERE

And tbl1.ColumnName Is Null

Enthusiast

Wow, just changing the query to use ColumnsV instead of columns solved the problem! But I will heed your advice re: suppling the DB names as well. So views that end w/ 'V' are more current than ones that don't? Are  views that end w/ 'VX' more current than ones that end w/ just 'V'? I am trying to come up w/ some rudimentary tools to compare tables, identify indices,etc.

Teradata Employee

Since TD12, the V views are the preferred / "native" ones, while those without V (where one with V also exists) were rewritten to provide backward compatibility.

The X views are filtered / restricted to show only objects for which the requester has some access. There is a performance cost for this filtering, so you should use the X views only if required; and if you do use the X views, it becomes more important to collect statistics on the dictionary tables themselves.