Compression will affect the performance of insert/Update/Delete the data in the table...

Database
l_k
N/A

Compression will affect the performance of insert/Update/Delete the data in the table...

Hi,

I have compressed 55 tables and recovered 100 GB of space from the existing tables.My doubt is,

1) will compression affect the performance of the insertion,Updation and deletion of a table.

2) If it affects the performance means,then what is the usage of compression? (only for historical table?)

3) which type of queries will be getting benefited by the compression?

I would appreciate you,if you provide help me on this....

Thanks

Lavakumar

1 REPLY
N/A

Re: Compression will affect the performance of insert/Update/Delete the data in the table...

Let me take a swing at this:
1) Perhaps, to some infinitesimal degree. Anyone who could or would compute this likes working with lots of numbers to the right. For the rest of us, it’s way too small to consider, like the overhead of VARCHAR vs CHAR.
2) The obvious value of compression is space savings. Not concerned with space? Then you work with small tables or have a generous benefactor. For the rest of us, in real businesses and many Billion-row tables, it can be a benefit not to be ignored! Also, during dreaded table scans, it increases performance: smaller rows mean more rows on the block mean faster overall scans. And recent versions keep the compression in place for much of the row during query execution to help the query run faster.
3) Any query that accesses the table.