Convert Timestamp from GMT to EST

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Enthusiast

Convert Timestamp from GMT to EST

Hi,

I have posted this question in another thread, but i dont see that, so posting again. I find this new interface very confusing, apologies for that.

I have to convert a timestamp from GMT to EST. I can use 'at   ameriacan eastern' for that.I wanted to check if this takes into account the day light saving as well. I am pretty sure it does take into account as mentioned in the manuals, but wanted to confirm my understanding.

Note: Teradata Database will automatically adjust the time zone displacement to account for
the start or end of daylight saving time only if you specify a time zone using a time zone string
that follows different DST and standard time zone displacements.

--Samir Singh

2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Convert Timestamp from GMT to EST

Hi All,

Any help on this ?

I have another input on this. I will have a column in a table which will have a GMT time. Now i want to convert it to EST. I can use at  'America eastern'  to convert it to EST. As a test, when i use below sql on my sql assist, it considers '2015-12-19 16:44:00'  to be EST and convers to MST appropiately.

sel cast ('2015-12-19 16:44:00' as timestamp(0))  at  'America mountain'. 

This is becasue my system/session setting is EST, it takes '2015-12-19 16:44:00'  as EST. Now, when i have data in the table as GMT, will that still consuder it in EST ? But, i want it to consider it to be GMT and conver to EST. So, do i need to convert my column value to GST first and then use at  'America eastern'  to convert to EST ? How do do that ? Any input will be helpful.

--Samir Singh

Enthusiast

Re: Convert Timestamp from GMT to EST

Just append -00:00 at the end of your date as time zone infomation and below query should work for you.

SEL CAST ('2015-12-19 16:44:00-00:00' AS  TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONEAT  'America Eastern';